Montana Antelope Hunting for 2013

cowboywhorses

Thinking of doing a hunt in Montana about the same time as my trip to Wyoming.

Could draw a 700 area tag. any help would be good. Could do DIY or semi guided, open to almost anything.

God Bless.

Jeff

Draw odds are in the pits for the east side of Montana after the winter kill a couple years ago. Why not just buy leftover buck and doe tags in Wyoming where they are in good shape compared to MT?

Topgun -
what areas would you recommend for left over tags that have decent public access.

If you just want meat and are willing to buy doe tags, my suggestion would be to contact the G&F Offfice in Gillette and get a list of ranchers for unit 23. Many will let you take does for free or on the cheap, but I would ask to do it the second week of the season after their paying buck hunters are done. There is enough public land on the west side of that unit if you have a good map and GPS to take a buck, but it's rougher country and you'll have to work at it to do it. There is one big walkin area up along Beaver Creek that you can hunt for free and it borders a lot of BLM land, but I would wait until the second week to do that too.Unit 23 always has a ton of leftover buck and doe tags left because it's predominantly private land.

If you do put in for a tag over here, and get lucky enough to draw, hit me up....I can get you on a goat pretty easily, last year and this year have been good, it's just the older 4+ year old bucks that are scarce...but I have been seeing alot of really nice antelope so far.

Scott

Scott- It would be a left over tag that I tried to pick up. Banking on my 700 series Montana tag right off the bat since I will be there hunting mulies already. If I dont get a 700 series tag and I can pick up a area 23, I will definately reach out. thanks
DT

Jeff I have been hunting ant. in eastern MT for 30 yrs. try Jordan, MT GREAT people get on block management property any gate that has a green tag on it just drive to the house and sign up. That's it. Good luck.

Frank, the wop

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.