Monstadoe down with smokeless Rem 700, 370 yd shot

bowhunter1661

Went out yesterday to kill a doe for our land owner. Slow night but this big nanny came out at 370 yds. I dialed up 5.5 MOA, squeezed the trigger off, then BOOM! Quartering away. Shot her right behind the shoulder and it came out her neck. Brutal exit wound.
image.jpg

Nice big doe bh1661. Can you give us your rifles full specs? TY

Absolutely, the action is a donor Rem 700 ML.
26" Pacnor 1-20" twist
Callahan recoil lug
modified savage breach plug with .040" tungsten bushing
Hunter 209 bolt nose
Factory trigger set at 2.5 lb
Bell and Carlson varmint stock with aluminum bedding block
Warne tactical 20 MOA base
Vortex rings
Vortex viper 6.5-20x44 scope

Just picked up a Rem MZ in top notch condition that will be used as a donor. Sometime later in the year, my plan is to send it out and have the work completed. I need to learn more though. Although the rifle will be smokeless capable, I'm looking at strictly shooting BH from it.

Other than probably price, how much difference between a Pacnor and Brux barrel?

Other than probably price, how much difference between a Pacnor and Brux barrel?

From what I've read the Pacnor is a button barrel and the Brux barrel is a cut barrel. The consistency in the Brux is suppose to be allot better which should yield better accuracy. However with that said I'm sure you've seen some groups that the Pacnor barrel gives and for the money if your using it to just shoot game then the Pacnor will do fine. If your into target and super long-range then I'd go Brux. Anther thing if your going to shoot sabotless I'd go Brux also. If your just going to shoot sabot loads then Pacnor will do just fine.

I would say the vast majority of folks use Pacnor. In that group a lot of them shoot sabot less. Much like myself, this gun can shoot more accurately than I could probably fire it. I have yet to get out and shoot longer range with it but as soon as I do I will be sure to post. I pondered between the two and decided to take Luke's advise, which was go with the Pacnor. I don't regret the decision. If I had a dream of shooting 1000 yds with it I probably would have gone brux. My 600 yd max goal puts Pacnor right where I need it to be. Plenty accurate and affordable.

I will say this. I have NEVER been so confident behind a rifle than with this. Dial up your yardages and fire. Plus shooting smokless powder at high velocity with high BC bullets gives me extreme confidence in longer range shots. I am use to slug huntng before building this rifle. I probably wouldn't take a shot over 150 yds with a slugger. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts