Monarch 7 ran out of windage

Hiwayman92

I'm looking for some reaffirmation that I have a bad scope. I had a Nikon monarch tactical that fogged up on me so Nikon replaced it with their new Monarch 7. I put the rifle in a McMillan Game Scout last winter and had it bedded. Other that that all I did was mount this scope in the same Talley rings as my old scope. I've had the gun several years and never noticed a windage issue, however I never looked to see how many clicks were left after it was zeroed. I've had a Burris 3.5-10 1" tube on it, Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 1" on it, Monarch X 4-16x50, and now this brand new Monarch 7 4-16x50, and never had a windage issue. I'd like to think this new Nikon has more adjustment than any scope I've had on it. There are 75 minutes of horizontal adjustment and it needs all 75 to be zeroed. I pulled the scope off and lapped the rings, switched the rear Talley ring around, made sure everything was tight, and no difference. I don't have another 30mm scope laying around that isn't already mounted to try, so I'm stumped. I think it has to be the scope, but it holds zero and is brand new, maybe 10 rounds down range. Am I missing something?

92, a friend and I have had higher end Nikon with windage problems. Both were sent back to Nikon, friend's was replaced and mine was repaired at no charge. Perhaps try a scope from another to make sure the Nikon windage is bad, if so send it in.
Good luck

Action or mounts out of square with the world. Only way to know is another scope. I have had this problem with a Sako using non Sako rings.

Steve

You may also have your rings too tight. Even if you think you don't, try loosening your ring clamshells a bit. Not super loose, just drop a few pounds of torque.

I've got them torqued to spec, I can't imagine ring torque causing a scope to need 75 moa when I've had scopes with much less adjustment mounted fine. I'm going to send the scope in I guess, I just can't believe it would be bad out of the box.

Sent the scope in and apparently there was something wrong with it. They are sending me a brand new one soon, so I can't complain.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.