• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

moly coated bullets updated with list

I used moly-coated bullets for a while and then read an article in one of the gun mags telling us we should not, and giving reasons for this policy. I don't remember the reasons they gave, but since I had not seen any particular change with the moly-coated, I quit using them. What are the arguments against using?

In the beginning the moly system was pretty messy and nasty to use. With time came improvements. I believe Walt Berger was one of the original users. Most of the negative info I've read has come from opinions but not from actual users with experience. There has been a significant drop in in users and today it's no longer the rage. If you are a member I'm sure you're aware there are very strong opinions posted and I'm sure this post will spark some replies. As mentioned, UrbanRifleman has made some very compelling post supporting moly but many disagree.

I bought a huge lot of bullets, mostly lower grain .224, I believe some .264s also and was not told they had been moly coated, very well I might add.
I belive there are a few thousand if interested I will try to get an accurate count and pics and a fair price.
I would be interested in some 22 cal. bullets.

I bought a huge lot of bullets, mostly lower grain .224, I believe some .264s also and was not told they had been moly coated, very well I might add.
I belive there are a few thousand if interested I will try to get an accurate count and pics and a fair price.
Put them to a tumbler with SS and dish sope for 3 hours. Then dry and rock-n roll. Good like new.

...I sold a 6.5X284 Cooper last year with 2375 rounds down the barrel. I disclosed to the buyer that it had that many rounds fired and if not happy with accuracy I'd buy back. He still has rifle and his smith called me couldn't believe that many documented rounds fired down the tube.
Pretty amazing round count! Did you set the barrel back multiple times? Admittedly my loads are throat destroying rip snorters, but I don't understand how moly mitigates that.

I shot moly coated bullets in competition rifles Until 3 years go. That is when after cleaning, I noticed very slight moisture on my clean barrel patches. I was told that moly causes this residue. Do not use it any longer

Pretty amazing round count! Did you set the barrel back multiple times? Admittedly my loads are throat destroying rip snorters, but I don't understand how moly mitigates that.
I agree and have no clear explanation, that's why the smith also was questioning the round count. I'm guessing always shooting moly coated bullets was one factor, second rifle never was shot with hot barrel. I always cool barrel after three-four rounds. I'm not sure but I do have several rifles today with substantial round count that still shoot well. I'm convinced throat erosion is really impacted by shooting hot chambers, that fifth-tenth round compounds the damage in my opinion. "My opinion"

I shot moly coated bullets in competition rifles Until 3 years go. That is when after cleaning, I noticed very slight moisture on my clean barrel patches. I was told that moly causes this residue. Do not use it any longer
Can you explain "moisture on clean barrel patch"? was this after rifle sat for a while after cleaned?