MOAR vs. MOAR-T?

Ingwe

I am definitely buying an ATAC 5x25x56 to go on my 7mmRemMag but I still don't know which reticle to go with.

If anyone of you shot or even looked through them both I would like to hear from you. What was your impression, opinion, etc.

I know that the T has a thinner aiming point so I am wondering on just how thin it is.

I will be shooting deer in NY, hopefully Africa very soon, Prairie dogs in spring, and 1,00 yard steel at 1,000.

I also like the fact that the only part of the reticle that illuminates is the center aiming point.

Fire away and THANKS!gun)

I purchased the moar-t for my NXS 5x22x56. I couldn't be happier. It will help you a great deal at aiming at small precise targets. It is by no means to small or hard to see.

Ingwe, remember the MOAR-T is the same thickness as the old NP-R1 which is discontinued, or replaced with the MOAR-T. The NP-R1 was a very popular reticle, maybe even most popular offered at it time. Both LR hunters and shooters loved the RP-R1. The thinner reticles are .062" and the regular MOAR is .140" Neither will hinder your general hunting at 1000 yards, but when you go for small objects like prairie dogs at long distances, or shoot groups at paper or steel, the thinner reticle will be your friend. I have an ATACR's with the straight MOAR and I will be trading for the "T" version when time permits. I have used both quite a bit and done very well with both, but my personal preferences are to aim very small.

Keep in mind that if you are deer hunting in low light or where brush is a back ground the thicker version will be easier to see. Like I said I have used the thicker version with no issues hunting, but when I go past a mile on targets or a coyote I would prefer a thinner version.

No bad choice really, you just need to decide what will suit your personal needs and preferences best.

Jeff

I am definitely buying an ATAC 5x25x56 to go on my 7mmRemMag but I still don't know which reticle to go with.

If anyone of you shot or even looked through them both I would like to hear from you. What was your impression, opinion, etc.

I know that the T has a thinner aiming point so I am wondering on just how thin it is.

I will be shooting deer in NY, hopefully Africa very soon, Prairie dogs in spring, and 1,00 yard steel at 1,000.

I also like the fact that the only part of the reticle that illuminates is the center aiming point.

Fire away and THANKS!gun)

I have to ask why buy a scope with a 34 mm tube? I have never thought of the 7mag as being suitable past 1 mile. The regular NXS has enough travel to get you to at least a mile. Your spending way more money for a clunkier and heavier scope that offers nothing for your purpose.

Thanks for the replies fellas and I am going to go with the MIAR T

Cowboy, good question! I would like to hear what NF owners have to say on this but it seems that the ATACR has the latest lens coatings for best optical quality and the 34mm will gather the most light. Since it is a hunting scope 1st and a LR scope 2nd the optical quality is most important to me.

The NSX is cheaper as well!

Feel free to chime in!

Thanks for the replies fellas and I am going to go with the MIAR T

Cowboy, good question! I would like to hear what NF owners have to say on this but it seems that the ATACR has the latest lens coatings for best optical quality and the 34mm will gather the most light. Since it is a hunting scope 1st and a LR scope 2nd the optical quality is most important to me.

The NSX is cheaper as well!

Feel free to chime in!

for one the ATACR is 8 oz heavier thats substantial. I personally shoot a 3.5-15x50 NXS with MOAR. you mention low light. I use this scope primarily to coyote hunt. I hunt sage brush and I can't think of a bigger challenge than trying to shoot a coyote at long range in fading light in sage brush. The scope I am using will get me to the point of much less light I am night hunting. I honestly can't see how a brighter scope would really help me. I also don't ever use the illumination on the scope either. IF your stepping up to a 56mm model even in the NXS line its going to be plenty bright enough IMO for any big game hunting that I know of. You will be way way past legal shooting light.

Yea Cowboy I was considering the 56mm NSX before I got interested in the ATACR.

Have you ever shot the ATACR?? I am just wondering if the coatings make that much difference in optical clarity, etc.

I wish that I could get my hands on both to compare side by side.....I would need a small miracle for that here in New York City!

I am just wondering if the coatings make that much difference in optical clarity, etc.

I wish that I could get my hands on both to compare side by side.....I would need a small miracle for that here in New York City!

I have and reported here.

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

In the review you will be able to see the reticle in some of the pictures. I apologize for the poor quality of the pics, they were done by holding a camera to the eye piece. In the pics this is the regular MOAR with .140 sub-tension lines.

I do feel the ATACR has notably better glass as I stated in the review and would allow for better quality in lower light.

Jeff

I had a 3.5-15 NXS scope, and I thought it was a great scope. However, when I got an ATACR it was quickly apparent that the glass in the ATACR is a big step up. Both are on the heavy side for huntng, and the size of the scope/turrets is kind of bulky for hunting.

I have to ask why buy a scope with a 34 mm tube? I have never thought of the 7mag as being suitable past 1 mile. The regular NXS has enough travel to get you to at least a mile. Your spending way more money for a clunkier and heavier scope that offers nothing for your purpose.

I had two reasons really. The ATACR was 25x instead of 22x, and it has better glass. Noticeably better than my 3.5-15 NXS. You could also note that it has a wider field of view on 25x than the NXS on 22x. Though not much, it is still larger.

for one the ATACR is 8 oz heavier thats substantial. I personally shoot a 3.5-15x50 NXS with MOAR. you mention low light. I use this scope primarily to coyote hunt. I hunt sage brush and I can't think of a bigger challenge than trying to shoot a coyote at long range in fading light in sage brush. The scope I am using will get me to the point of much less light I am night hunting. I honestly can't see how a brighter scope would really help me. I also don't ever use the illumination on the scope either. IF your stepping up to a 56mm model even in the NXS line its going to be plenty bright enough IMO for any big game hunting that I know of. You will be way way past legal shooting light.

I have NXS 5.5-22X56 and ATACR. The glass on the ATACR has a very noticeable difference over the NXS. Don't get me wrong, the NXS is an outstanding scope.
Also, if 8 oz. is a deal breaker, well ??? Also, legal shooting light for coyote is not an issue. Also, if there is still legal shooting "time" and it is cloudy and the critter you are after is in or under brush, the ATACR will make up the difference. As for the MOAR T, turn on the illumination and lower the brightness and game on.
JMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.