Missouri Coyote

GTOHunter

Got this nice Big Male Coyote a few Years ago,I called it in using a Primo's mouth Call by just giving a few excited Barks and using a Hunters Specialties foldable Feather Distractor setting out about 35 yards in front of me while I was sitting in my ladder stand.The Coyote came in to the sounds of the call and ran up to the waving feather on the stick when I shot it with my CZ Model 527 "Varmint" .204 Rifle using 39 grain Sierra Blitz King green-tipped bullets.

He turned after the first shot and limped off so I put another round in him going back the other way and on the opposite side of his body...2 rounds with a small entrance hole and NO exit holes! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20160101_205414-2.jpg
    20160101_205414-2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 81
As He turned away to go back the direction He came in from He was limping slightly and not looking too perky.....I learned a long time ago if a second shot opportunity presents itself never pass it up because You just dont know how a Coyote is going to react or how tough they are?I could have waited but it was close to last light and my field of view was limited on my right side.

I've shot at Coyotes about 150-200 yards out and had them do the Classic Spin of Death only to have them miraculously come out of it and run off some where?Dang nab it....GRRRRRR!!! :(

GTO thats why I use 2506 on my dogs ,He dies unless I hit low and blow off a leg, and then he it gets another pill in his direction

I have had no success calling coyotes so far with either a mouth call or my cheap electronic caller. Every dog I have downed has been opportunity kills. My last two were with my 40 cal side arm at 40 yards and with the 300 Winmag at about 75 yards. Both were 30 minutes from my elk spots. The irony of the story is both dropped instantly and the third coyote to show himself did so right in the middle of the area and knew. He slowly walked to the middle of the road 5 yards from the truck, made his deposited and then took his time leaving. Like a bird dog called off a bird it ruined me for I have yet to kill another dog.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.