Minnesota

Yeah I was out plowing this morning at 3:30 and the 3-4" was gone by mid afternoon.

On a non weather note, any of you fine gents want to show a rookie how to hunt coyotes? I got a 243 just itching to drop some yotes.

I can bring food and whatever else in exchange for gettin learned :)

Dan

Was out turkey hunting thurs morning sat in my first spot and nothing, moved to the other end of the farm got set up with my back to the woods and a decoy in the field started calling and had 5 toms gobbling behind me I could see four of them and heard the fifth a ways over the calling went on for an hour and 15min and could not get them to come out for a shot finally they wandered down thru the woods and came out in the field about 200 yds away. rain on fri will be out sat morning.

Hello from Zumbro Falls area. Just trying to become a good shot at mid to longer ranges. Some day maybe a praire dog hunt.
Getting the gun(s) to shoot well. Getting my trigger skills down, understanding ALL the factors the wind throws at you. It is a challenge. Still want to range old school with mildots, finding out that is a issue also!
Troy

Hibbing has up to 600 yd range, private club, but I'm a member and can get you in.

Virginia has a 500 yd range and is also a private club, but again, I'm a member and can get you in.

Virginia just had a precision rifle match; 3 inch gong at 300yds, 4 inch gong at 400 yds and a 5 inch gong at 500 yards. Was very interesting with a quarting head wind gusting to 30 mph and and wind swirling in 3 diferent directions including a dead zone from 500 yds.

Spent 4 days last week helping sight in rifles, after seeing how some folks shoot, I'm almost glad I'm not hunting this year

18 degrees for the high here today. With me not going after deer this year, it looks like dry fire practice is beginning

YA, I know what you mean, unfortunately, it's like that everywhere. Most are scared of the recoil 'cause they were talked into mags, WSMs or WSSMs 'cause you need the power. Pure BS.

I explain that the gun kicks more off the bench then it does hunting. They usually have a ??? look on their face. Then explain shooting position, cloths and adreniline. They usually have a light bulb go off!

YA, I know what you mean, unfortunately, it's like that everywhere. Most are scared of the recoil 'cause they were talked into mags, WSMs or WSSMs 'cause you need the power. Pure BS.

I explain that the gun kicks more off the bench then it does hunting. They usually have a ??? look on their face. Then explain shooting position, cloths and adreniline. They usually have a light bulb go off!

The 6 inch groups at 100 yards, that are "good enough" are what scares me....that and he folks who stay at the 25 yard line trying to get it perfect and never shoot beyond that.

Well, 6 inch group offhand ain't that bad for some hunters, still in the kill zone.
6 inches off of bags is poor, generally I will try and take a couple of shots for them, then they know whether it is the gun/scope combo or them. Most times, I will shoot a tight group with them looking through the spotting scope, give the gun back to them do the same for the next 2 round, then they open up the group.

I haven't had anyone sight in at 25 yards except for a couple of revolver shooter. Older gents with open sights usually like it sighted in at 50 yards do to their eyes, when you recommend a scope, they almost get insulted.

Most rifles are sighted in for 100 yards and many are verticle adjusted for a 200 yard zero for the 'power line' shooters.

Well, 6 inch group offhand ain't that bad for some hunters, still in the kill zone.
6 inches off of bags is poor, generally I will try and take a couple of shots for them, then they know whether it is the gun/scope combo or them. Most times, I will shoot a tight group with them looking through the spotting scope, give the gun back to them do the same for the next 2 round, then they open up the group.

I haven't had anyone sight in at 25 yards except for a couple of revolver shooter. Older gents with open sights usually like it sighted in at 50 yards do to their eyes, when you recommend a scope, they almost get insulted.

Most rifles are sighted in for 100 yards and many are verticle adjusted for a 200 yard zero for the 'power line' shooters.

We start them at 25 because most of them are off paper at 100.....and they shoot 6inch groups off bags from a bench.....for some folks, we had to do the sighting in, but in general, they did ok with our guidance, lots of 1-2 inch groups, but the like 20 or so who shot in the 6 inch range, well, we checked rifles, scopes, bases and rings, 1 guy, that was the problem for the others, well, they shoot once a year for deer season.....it shows

Hey yall! Deep southern Mn boy here( northern Missouri) hangin out in Albertville right now but headin up to Hibbing either today or tomorrow to load....if any of yall see this semi, wave honk or flash your lights at me, or if im parked stop by and say hi!

Attachments

• 2013-10-11 11.16.34-1.jpg
    2013-10-11 11.16.34-1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 78
Hey yall! Deep southern Mn boy here( northern Missouri) hangin out in Albertville right now but headin up to Hibbing either today or tomorrow to load....if any of yall see this semi, wave honk or flash your lights at me, or if im parked stop by and say hi!

Hey the W900 's are the nicest looking trucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.