Mild recoiling rifle for hunting medium sized game

Hello, new to this forum. Looking for recommendations for factory rifles for this purpose. My planned shooting range on game would not exceed 600-700 yards but I would like to try target shooting out to 1,000 ish yards. The 6.5 CM gets a lot of press and it seems like there are a lot of choices in rifle and ammo. However, I am open to other caliber choices. I don't plan to handload.
FYI, I have a 300WM that I use for elk hunting and shoot it well but would be nice to practice with less recoil and lower ammo cost.
I would like scope suggestions as well.
Thanks in advance.
.243 .308 6.5x47 6.5x284 7/08 .270 .240WBY

I use the Ruger American Rifle Predator in 6.5 CM for deer size game. It has little recoil and ammo is plentiful. Mine shoots under a moa.
I don't know if it has enough umph at 600 yds. I haven't shot anything that far. It is very nice for target shooting. I have a 4-12 Burris on mine because I had it handy.
I would think most of the 7mm and 25 calibers would work fine too.
I would like to try the 6.5 prc too.

I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor since you don't plan to reload. Mine shoots lights out. As far as scopes go, the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 is on sale for 50% off. I have the 4.5-27 on my Creedmoor and have been pleased with it, thinking of buying the 2.5-15 to put on my 270 WSM. For $400, it is hard to beat, FFP and illuminated.

I was in a similar boat awhile back looking for a light recoiling deer rifle for my wife and daughter that was also fun to shoot and hit steel at distance. Grabbed my wife a Mossberg Patriot in 7-08 that I thought was perfect for her. It's light, short, easy to throw around and shoulder but because of all of that, it has a pretty snappy recoil. Kicks like a 30-06! Could have threaded the barrel for a brake and made it better for her but used it as an excuse to get another rifle...for her of course.lol
Ended up grabbing a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, dropped it in a Boyds stock, threw on a cheap muzzle brake and added a Monarch 5 3-15 scope. All for well under your $2K target price point and this thing shoots lights out! Kicks like a .243 and hits deer like a lightning bolt.
Long way of saying....another vote for the 6.5 to go along with your 300.;)

I'll be another vote for the 6.5x284 (or prc) very little recoil and very flat shooting. I'd probably do the prc since the otc ammo is cheaper. I bought one for my wife because she hates recoil. She loves the rifle .

Also, don't let anyone tell you your budget is too small. I have a 338 lapua chassis rifle that shoots 3/8 moa that I bought for under $2k including scope. New rifle and barely used glass. Just need to look for the deals.

Your 300 WM is ideal for short and long range big game hunting, so why not go for a gun for varmits and target shooting? I suggest a 6CM or 223. Both are easy to shoot, light recoiling, and will be a completely different animal than your big gun.

Hello, new to this forum. Looking for recommendations for factory rifles for this purpose. My planned shooting range on game would not exceed 600-700 yards but I would like to try target shooting out to 1,000 ish yards. The 6.5 CM gets a lot of press and it seems like there are a lot of choices in rifle and ammo. However, I am open to other caliber choices. I don't plan to handload.
FYI, I have a 300WM that I use for elk hunting and shoot it well but would be nice to practice with less recoil and lower ammo cost.
Thanks in advance.
6.5-284 norma is what I went with. Sold my 300 wm

For medium sized game with abundant factory ammo I'd be hard pressed to pass up a 6.5 creedmoor with 8 twist barrel in whatever brand rifle that rocked my boat...

You've got elk covered with the 300 win mag.

Thanks in advance.

I've been hunting with a 7mm-08 for over 30 years, started when I was 8 years old. Took my first coues whitetail and first mulie at this age and both off hand shots with little recoil.

Ita shoots flat and it kills up to 600m ( 650+ yards) no problem. You can use bullets from 100gr to 168gr with great results.

As far as the rifle a Remington or a Savage, they are very accurate in my experience and with a good scope on top you are set to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts