Mid-Priced Spotting Scope

bwaites

OK Guys,

I need a little help!

After spending thousands on a rifle/scope combo and the associated paraphenalia, I need a good spotting scope, but one that doesn't kill me price wise.

I would like a scope in the $200-300 range, but understand I may need to spend more.

So...How about recommendations in that range, then the $300-500 range, with best bets on where to buy them.

Thanks!!

Bill

Check out the Celestron 20-60x80 Ultima. I bought it on ebay from OpticsPlanet on a buy-it-now auction for $153.95 plus shipping. I really liked the way Opticsplanet handled this sale.

There are a few threads on here (or use to be) that I used for researching the same issue. Try searching for "Spotting Scope on a Budget" and you'll see. I am glad I followed these guys and their reviews.

Your $500 budget will let you get the same scope in an ED unit. Other than that, you're still a $1000 from really beating this unit IMO.

I did test drive a nice leica ($1200 otd) at a local shop and I would say the celestron was still in the ballpark if not comparable. Swaro and others will beat it but they'll hit you in the back pocket.

This is my experience.

I'm not an expert but it deals with color correction to allow for a sharper image. The ED means Extra-low Dispersion glass. You can google it to get a better explanation or maybe someone can explain in more detail.

I would take a look at http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Votex-Scope-Spotting-20-60x80-Straight-Skyline-SKL-80S.html?Attribs=34 or http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Vortex...80-Waterproof-Angled-ED80SK-S.html?Attribs=34 for around 400 price range. If i had to go in your $200 to $300 price range i would go http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Yukon-...ting-Scope-with-Tripod-21031K.html?Attribs=34 saw that and was amazed how great of a deal that was. My friend told me about that website OpticsBestBuy you should give it a browse.

Bushnell Elite spotter

Take a look at the Bushnell Elite Roof Prisms.
Excellent resolution and a fair price. They also have that wonderful Rainguard that keeps them up and running in the rain and fog.

SWFA has the 15-45 X 60 for 369.95 and the 20-60 X 70 for $499.95. There is a big jump in price to get better glass.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Celestron 20-60x80 Ultima

Another vote for the Celestron 20-60x80 Ultima. Love mine but need more power with a new 338 AM coming

About a year or two back I was looking for a spotting scope that I could just leave in the pickup all of the time. I wanted good optics at a reasonable price. After the favorable reviews here on the Celestron scopes I bought the 22-66 100mm w/45 degree eyepiece and it's been great. It's a little big but I bought it for packing in the truck. In this pic I was watching some bighorn rams about 1.5-2 miles away.
DSC01939croppedSmall.jpg

You can see it here: http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?CatID=30&ProdID=204

I must say though, I spend more time behind the big eyes than I do the spotting scope but it's nice to have that spotting scope power when you need it.
HPIM0049croppedSmall.jpg

I'm leaning toward the Celestron, because they seem to give a lot of bang for the buck, but I've made no firm decisions yet, so keep up with the help guys!

Bill

PS, where are you ss7mm? That picture is very Columbia Basin appearing!! If I had to guess, I'd say the road between TriCities and Walla Walla for starters.

Last edited:
ss7mm,

Must be just before the trees! I know that highway too, just forgot about it. Cool!!

Alex, do you have a favorite. Bulk is not a big issue, this scope is for range shooting, which I think I forgot to mention!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.