Mid-1980s Weatherby Mark V

RugerHawg413

I want your thoughts on a Mid 1980s-Japanese Made Weatherby Mark V .300 Weatherby Magnum, it is priced about $1,200 and is in excellent shape. I wanted to know if it is overpriced or if there is anything I should about it before I buy it! Thanks!

I purchased the same rifle in the Alaskan model from a shop in San Antonio a year ago last Fall. I paid $600 for it and the rifle was in good overall condition (none of the nickle plating was flaking off and the synthetic stock had no deep scratches). The rifle came with a Bausch and Lomb 3x9 nickle plated scope and stainless dovetail mounts that have since been replaced.

Quality seems on par with my other US Mark Vs and it definitely shoots well. It should have a 1:10 twist unlike the German Mark Vs that have a 1:12 twist.

I purchased the same rifle in the Alaskan model from a shop in San Antonio a year ago last Fall. I paid $600 for it and the rifle was in good overall condition (none of the nickle plating was flaking off and the synthetic stock had no deep scratches). The rifle came with a Bausch and Lomb 3x9 nickle plated scope and stainless dovetail mounts that have since been replaced.

Quality seems on par with my other US Mark Vs and it definitely shoots well. It should have a 1:10 twist unlike the German Mark Vs that have a 1:12 twist.
Man, you got a great deal! I wish I could find a deal like that, but I live in a small town. Thanks for the info!!

Man, you got a great deal! I wish I could find a deal like that, but I live in a small town. Thanks for the info!!

I had been following this rifle online for almost a year when I finally got down to my parent's house for a visit (I live in the Seattle area). I asked about the rifle when we got to the shop just after I got off the plane from Seattle to San Antonio and the shop couldn't find it. It was still listed on their web page, so my dad and I searched the shop for it. My dad ended up finding it in their clearance rack for $100 less than what it had originally been listed at. I was ecstatic about the find and could not believe the deal.

I'm not sure I could repeat this, especially in today's climate, but sometimes you do get lucky.

I had been following this rifle online for almost a year when I finally got down to my parent's house for a visit (I live in the Seattle area). I asked about the rifle when we got to the shop just after I got off the plane from Seattle to San Antonio and the shop couldn't find it. It was still listed on their web page, so my dad and I searched the shop for it. My dad ended up finding it in their clearance rack for $100 less than what it had originally been listed at. I was ecstatic about the find and could not believe the deal.

I'm not sure I could repeat this, especially in today's climate, but sometimes you do get lucky.
Heard that! Thanks for sharing your story. You just never know what you might find!

I'd say in all honesty that's a decent price . It could be completely burnt up though or maybe not . That's a chance ya take buying a used one . I bought a 1969 German made one about 12 years ago . The stock looked like it been drug across country but the metal all looked new . Got it home and inspected with a bore scope it doesn't appear to have been shot very much at all . And it shoots fine . At that time I needed another German made one and paid 1400 for it .

413, walnut stock or black plastic. Significant difference in $. I found a Atascadero made Mark V in .270 Wby Mag for $600, but it had a Tupperware stock. Most of the German made 300 Wbys have a 1:12 barrel. I have collected two of the deluxe walnut stocks now.

413, walnut stock or black plastic. Significant difference in $. I found a Atascadero made Mark V in .270 Wby Mag for $600, but it had a Tupperware stock. Most of the German made 300 Wbys have a 1:12 barrel. I have collected two of the deluxe walnut stocks now.
It is a walnut stock, thanks for the info!

It is a walnut stock, thanks for the info!
The Weatherby factory wants $750 for their Custom Deluxe Walnut stock which is nearly double the cost of a carbon fiber.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    492.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 205
The Weatherby factory wants $750 for their Custom Deluxe Walnut stock which is nearly double the cost of a carbon fiber.

You can usually find them on EBay for around $400-$500 and up to $900 for a Euromark. Make sure you find the right inlet (9 lug and either #2 or #3 contour).

These walnut stocks are a thing of beauty...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.