Meopta and Barska??? Anybody help, other suggestions welcome

superlite17

Hello all! In my recent search for glass i have had these two pointed out to me. What do you guys think?

For example, who do they stack up against? Like would Meopta really compete with zeiss... or maybe tasco??

I am looking at wanting Zeiss performance on a Tasco budget, can anybody point me in the right direction? In all seriousness my budget is not quite that bad, but i am working hard to find a very nice glass for the money so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks - Rod

Thanks - Rod

Meopta offers very good glass for the money. I am very impressed with the optics in the Meopta 4X16X44 and the 3X19X50 these are the only ones that I have any experience with.............
thumb.gif

Meopta = high quality European scope that is only just being discovered in the U.S. but has been around in Australia for 10 years or more . Have won a reputation for high quality at a reasonable price . One of the most experienced local gunwriters wrote that they compare favourably with better known European glass costing twice as much .
I recently replaced a Leupold VariX 111 with a Meostar R1 . Have one Leupold VX111 and would have gone that way again if I thought they were better . I now have 2 Meoptas and have owned (and still own) multiple Leupolds .
Take advantage of the favourable exchange rate and get the Meopta .
You'll never find a cheap Chinese scope on one of my rifles .

I also have the 4-16x44 and it is outstanding. I also have 2 Zeiss diavari 6-24x56 and several 6.5-20x50 conquest and the Meopta is every bit as good as the conquest. I gave $545 with shipping for mine and to me It can not be beat for under a $1000 bucks. The only complaint i have with it is the turrets don't have which way is up and down or left and right on them.

Rod, go with the Meopta, and you will not regret it. Excellent resolution and color fidelity plus robust construction equals one great scope, especially at the Meopta price. If you are looking for a set of binoculars, the Meostar 10X42 are an even better deal!

As far as the Barska, you could connect two shot glasses with a toilet paper roll and get better performance.

Good hunting!

[ QUOTE ]
One should NEVER include "Meopta" and "Barska" in the same sentence! Every Barska I've held and/or viewed has been of absolute pitiful quality. In my experience, they are horrible and a complete waste of money.

Meopta, on the other hand, is a very well known optical company in the Czech Republic. The Meostar line is excellent and offers an extremely good product. I owned a 4x16 44mm w/mildot that was every bit as good (really just a tad better) than my Conquest 6.5x20 50mm but cost less money.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Meopta Meostar. I can also suggest that you're ****ing money away with a Barska...

Best of luck to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it wasn't just me afterall.

To me it would be like asking to compare an Escalade & a Kia.

I cant add anything to the Barska part. They have their uses - but are overpriced.

BUT - Meopta. Dont get me wrong it's not BAD glass and if it's what your Budget will support then I have no arguments. They do make stuff for Zeiss - but quite what is unclear (pun unintended) - my guess is GLASS but uncoated.

But was at an event sponsored by Meopta in CZ a fortnight ago and was surprised how much difference there was twixt even MIL-SPEC Meopta and a couple of IORs I had with me to show the lads over there. A surprising (and really I did not expect it)difference in contrast and resolution. I dont know how prices compare in the US - but it's worth mentioning.

Let me ask you this, how do you think it stacks up against a Conquest? I have found a new Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 w/ #20 Z-Plex on Ebay and the guy said he would take $650 and am smokin it over. What do you think of that price?

Thanks guys - Rod

Superlite17,

I just bought a IOR & agree with the other guys. It's got very good glass. Bought the 4-14x56 Illum. Hunting Scope. The retical is detailed & I like it. Here is my post that will give a little bit more info from the guys that have the IOR. I feel that i got a big bang for my $$$.. You can't go wrong with any of the high end sopes mentioned. Just depends how much you want to spend, but I would give it some serious thought.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...&PHPSESSID=

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.