medium size game LR round

Thanks for the response, by medium size game I mean antelope and wolf

I hear you but this is LRH and what are you considering LR? All the antelopes below were harvested with a .300 Win Mag ...

2011-10-08_09-14-05_601-1.jpg

1009101045A.jpg

1024091042b.jpg

PIX002-1.jpg

Antelopehunting-3.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

What is the most efficient Long Range Rifle round for medium size game?

.50 BMG! Instant death up to 2K away! :D

Seriously, I think I know what your asking...I would say the .308 class family of cartridges.

.243 win, .260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, .308 win are all extremely efficient rounds that will be effective on taking antelope and wolves within 800 yards. I would be a little skeptical with the .243 at that range though. Not sure what energies they are pushing at that distance. But regardless the .243 is more than efficient for 500 yard shots. Its just all dependent on your definition of long range.

FEENIX, I agree with you though that the .300 win mag is more than enough, just what is meant by efficiency? Also, thanks for sharing your photos! Great pictures! gun)

Camperjo, I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need any other help.

"Efficient" would be the .308.

I think Feenix was going for "effective".:D:D:D

I was going for both effective and efficient; one chambering/rifle, one bullet weight for multiple game from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

I posted the antelope pix to prove it is not an overkill. It might be for wolf (pelt) though. :rolleyes:gun)

Below is effective but not efficient ...

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

Taken with .338 Win Mag using 225g NAB. :)

When not given a lot of parameters the .300 Winchester Magnum is always a good choice.

It's about the bullet, and with so many available these days-some cartridges I wouldn't have considered in the past now pique my interest.

I would differ with FEENIX only in choice of bullets, I think the better .30 caliber bullets are 200+ grains.

If going with 180 grains +/- bullets, I'd rather use a .277, or .284 caliber, on a magnum case-especially if antelope, or wolf is the expected target.

I would more likely just use the 210-215 Berger's though.

When not given a lot of parameters the .300 Winchester Magnum is always a good choice.

It's about the bullet, and with so many available these days-some cartridges I wouldn't have considered in the past now pique my interest.

I would differ with FEENIX only in choice of bullets, I think the better .30 caliber bullets are 200+ grains.

If going with 180 grains +/- bullets, I'd rather use a .277, or .284 caliber, on a magnum case-especially if antelope, or wolf is the expected target.

I would more likely just use the 210-215 Berger's though.

I can respect that; variety is a spice of life. :D

On the antelope pictures, 1,2, and 6 were taken with 200 NABs, 3 is with 178 A-Max, and 4 & 5 with 180 NBTs.

I agree with you on 210/215 except I have not loaded them for my .300 Win Mags yet; I have loaded the 215 for my .300 WSM though and harvested a 4x4 muley last year at 425 yards.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.