Meat delivery...

I fly meat and fish in and out of Alaska all the time for friends and family in the Lower 48. The best way I have found is using the airline approved styrofoam shipping boxes and just check as luggage. They come in 20lb, 50lb and one larger size (?lbs). I just put a hard freeze on the meat/fish and then put it in the box just before I head to the airport. Never had an issue in 20 years, even going to places like Tx in the middle of the summer.
Another option I have used for shipping larger amounts of unboned o meat out is flying it with the air lines air cargo. I have packed chilled meat in wax boxes and then dropped it off at the airlines air cargo. They usually have cold storage and all but a few times it actually flys out on the same plane I am on. Then usually pick it up a few hours after my flight or the next day. Works well for ~$1 -$1.50 per lb.
The most expensive option i have used is overnight shipping, a 20lb box costs me ~$120 to send, depending on area I am sending to and delivery option.
Talk to your Outfitter prior to the trip and they should have a good idea on the best way to get your meat home.

I have sent meat home using FedEx. They were great and I got next day service and 2 day service. It works nice. YES I have also shipped my gear there and back too. It makes for a very light baggage so you can just take a carry on and your good.

I fly meat and fish in and out of Alaska all the time for friends and family in the Lower 48. The best way I have found is using the airline approved styrofoam shipping boxes and just check as luggage. They come in 20lb, 50lb and one larger size (?lbs). I just put a hard freeze on the meat/fish and then put it in the box just before I head to the airport. Never had an issue in 20 years, even going to places like Tx in the middle of the summer.
Another option I have used for shipping larger amounts of unboned o meat out is flying it with the air lines air cargo. I have packed chilled meat in wax boxes and then dropped it off at the airlines air cargo. They usually have cold storage and all but a few times it actually flys out on the same plane I am on. Then usually pick it up a few hours after my flight or the next day. Works well for ~$1 -$1.50 per lb.
The most expensive option i have used is overnight shipping, a 20lb box costs me ~$120 to send, depending on area I am sending to and delivery option.
Talk to your Outfitter prior to the trip and they should have a good idea on the best way to get your meat home.
Last I was aware, you have to be a known shipper through TSA to ship larger quantities of freight on passenger planes. Alaska residents and Alaska Airlines have some special allowances, but it isn't accessible to the general public.

If it's a guided hunt, there's always the possibility your outfitter is a known shipper and will facilitate transport for you.

Interesting info on FAA rules. My buddy flew elk meat back from CO by packing the frozen meat in duct-taped up coolers. Before they left for the airport they contacted the airline which told them that dry ice was prohibited on their planes. They left the dry ice in the coolers until they were outside of the airport and then discarded it. When checking in they were required to open the coolers to assure that there was no dry ice.

I guess different airlines have different rules. It certainly pays to confirm the regulations with your carrier in advance.

I've flown with Delta, Alaska Air, and United without any issues (no styrofoam, get $20 40 QT from Walmart or something) ...

Delta dry ice.JPG
Alaska Air dry ice.JPG

United dry ice.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.