McMillan Stock Recomendations

Sheldon

I am going to order a McMillan Stock for my Model 7 wildcat. It's a calling rifle so I am going to order a white/grey gel coat, but I'm not sure which version to get. I also need one for a LR heavy .300 UM project. I was considering the A-5 but then I will likely be shooting it from a bench. Opinions would be appreciated.

If you have large hands the McHale is one of McMillan's sweetest stocks. Very tough choice between it and an A-5 for a fairly heavy rig. A-5 is more "portable", not as large a forend, should be lighter. Both are superb fitters. Other than their dedicated benchrest stocks the McHale is a great bench shooting stock. A-5 meant for field shooting, rounded forearm.
More I shoot the A-5 the more I like it.

Sheldon,
As long as you don't plan on lugging it around alot, then there's absolutely no question as to which McMillan stock should be your choice for that .300 RUM project . . . McHale!!! Even as much as Ian praises this stock, he's still understating it's merits. It has the thickest/deepest **** belly of any stock I've ever seen that isn't a .50 BMG stock. And the neck and forearm are as massive as they can be in a stock that is still ergonomic and/or reasonably supple. In fact, it's one of the few McMillan stocks that isn't a .50 BMG stock that can be inletted for Nesika Bay Precision receivers having outside diameters of 1.470". To illustrate even better, think of a stock that isn't a .50 BMG stock that would still be truly appropriate for use in a .408 Cheyenne Tactical project. What you're thinking is probably pretty close to what the McHale is!!!

Dave

Guys,
I can't believe Ian doesn't have at least one rifle built into a McHale, because in the summer of 2002, he scored a 4" group at 800 yards with a .300 WSM built around a Remington M700 action and into a McHale stock. The thing of it is, he did it in tactical mode (Prone that is; Not off a bench!). The larger write-up is published in one of the summer 2002 issues of Gun World. Incidentally, the rifle was a G.A. Precision job.

Cheers,
Dave

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Houston Boy ]

Dave,
****, somebody does read the gibberish that I write
grin.gif

Thanks for the mention, that was a superb shooting rifle and believe it or not we were shooting factory Failsafes. No doubt the credit for those groups was the fact that George was calling the wind and doing the real work.
Another time we shot a McHale stocked .308 built by a fellow up here in Canada and that rifle would not shoot over a half minute, fantastic field shooting rifle, not uncommon to shoot five into the 2's or 3's. Someone bought that rifle right out from under me - life is a bitch...
Could it be that McHale stocked rifles all shoot great??

The McHale is the stock I chose to replace the Holland HV I had on the Tomahawk. I just printed the order form and am filling it out tonight.
Its going to be some 3 color marble pattern (yet to be determined)with a thumbwheel cheekpiece and a Decelerator pad. It will remain a single shot with an ADL triggerguard from Williams.If anyone has any suggestions on a color pattern that will look good with an all matte stainless rifle, I'll listen...I don't care for red...

Ian,
If the tube is good and the riflesmith is at all compentent/conscientious, then I think, yes, all McHale-stocked rifles do shoot great. Many riflesmiths who have built rifles into the McHale have told me that there is no mystery to this, too. They all talk about how the deep, thick belly of the stock holds the barreled action with much more authority than that of other, lighter sporter and/or tactical stocks. Also, they have told me, the forearm is fairly broad and flat, which means is rides solidly in the bags or on the ground with a bipod underfoot.

I'm gonna do a Nesika actioned stick in a McHale chambered for the .338 Lapua inside the next 2-3 years. I expect it to be 'The End' in the way of my long range rifle projects.

Dave

PS - Ian, let's make it a point to get together to shoot or even hunt sometime before we can't!!!

Dave,
Might just happen - we have kids moving to Houston in Nov, will mean some visits. Excellent excuse to get out of frozen Sask. in the winter.

You know more about the McHale than I do, excellent info.

A Nesika in a McHale with a 30-odd inch Lilja in .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22 NXS in Max 50's would certainly be tough to take
grin.gif

Dave,
Might just happen - we have kids moving to Houston in Nov, will mean some visits. Excellent excuse to get out of frozen Sask. in the winter.

You know more about the McHale than I do, excellent info.

A Nesika in a McHale with a 30-odd inch Lilja in .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22 NXS in Max 50's would certainly be tough to take
grin.gif

Ian,
You have no idea how fortunate I consider myself that you'll soon have ties to Houston, Texas. This increases the odds enormously that you'll be able to come down for an antelope (Blackbuck) hunt sometime in the coming years! Oh joy!!! Let me know when the ole' offspring settle in down here.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.