McGowan Barrels Quality???

Monttrap04

I have a Model 70 Featherweight .30-06 I posted about a while back that turned into a major problem child in the consistency department. After bedding changes, pressure points, cryo treatment, load changes, lapping lugs, a lot of frustration and a fair amount of money I am finally done with the old tube. This rifle would have been long gone if it wasn't for my irrational emotional attachment to it.

This is a featherweight rifle and my accuracy expectations moving forward are not extremely high. However, I do want something that will shoot with good consistency and hopefully in the 3/4"-1" range.

Will McGowan get me there? Their price and turnaround seems reasonable but I have had so much frustration with this rifle that I hate to set myself up for disappointment just to save a few bucks over a Bartlein, Brux, Lilja, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Will McGowan get me there? Their price and turnaround seems reasonable but I have had so much frustration with this rifle that I hate to set myself up for disappointment just to save a few bucks over a Bartlein, Brux, Lilja, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

No other piece of the rifle plays a larger role to good precision than the barrel. If you're content with 3/4" to 1" groups at 100yds, McGowan might get you there with good gunsmithing and sufficient load development effort. I wouldn't venture a strong opinion one way or the other. Perhaps you can find a gunsmith fitting McGowen barrels to actions that will guarantee the precision you desire.

Custom rifle gunsmith's using Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, and Lilja barrels will commonly guarantee that their completed rifles will shoot 1/2moa 3-shot groups. So it's virtually certain that the precision you seek will be obtained with one of these barrels, provided the gunsmithing work is up to par.

There are retail outlets that try to keep some of these barrels in stock on a steady basis, which will greatly reduce your wait time compared to ordering a new barrel directly from the barrel maker.

I have been around some that shot, so I took a chance last fall. Fell into the same trap, needed a quick turnaround so I went for it.

First barrel fouled like crazy and never quit for the 70 or so rounds I put through it. Wouldn't shoot anything better than about 1 moa. Called the manufacturer, talked to them and sent some pics. They told me to send it back an assured me that warranty work went to the front of the line.

Checked in with them a few weeks later and they conformed that the barrel was bad. Didn't tell me what was wrong with it. 13 weeks later, they finally send me a new barrel after I started bugging them every week and got fairly irritated.

New barrel does the exact same thing. Call them up again and they tell me they got a bad batch of barrels. Not sure how I got 2 bad barrels out of this batch or how it took them 4 months to find out they had a bad batch.

They did refund my money. I will never take a shortcut again on a barrel. I know there are other good ones, but it will take a lot of convincing to not go with Brux or Bartlien from here on out for me.

Thanks for all the input.

As much frustration as I have had on this project I think it might make sense to take the low risk option and just spend a few extra bucks on a higher end barrel. I have a bartlein on a custom and love it.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Brux 1:8 6.5mm blank.

Looks like my old 30-06 is going to get a new life as a 6.5 Swede. Ditched the featherweight contour and went with a #2 sporter.

Going to drop the action off at the smith to get it in the next batch for blueprinting. What I save in blood pressure meds and counseling fees should pay for the overhaul.

I've had 9 McGowan barrels and still have 4 and they've all been .5 MOA or better. 6 of the barrels regularly do (or did) put out .3 MOA groups. These were all just Savage prefits.

You won't be disappointed by the Brux though, they're always a good pick.

My 338 Edge is a McGowan Remage. It may be the most accurate rifle I own. Once you get under .3 MOA it's tough to rank them. My home build Remage took 3rd in a 2000 yard competition against a field of more expensive and largely custom rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.