McBros Tubb 2000 rifle?

David P. Herne

Gentlemen,
Are any one of you at all familiar with the comparatively new Tubb 2000 'race-gun' being offered by McBros. Rifles? I really fancy the design from a conceptual standpoint. But far be it from me to dive into murky water without at least having a buddy or two tell me it's safe to do so first!

Dave

J.S.,
Personally knowing nothing aside from big, single shot, non-repeating long guns, it shouldn't seem too extraordinary that I find such things as this so attractive! But I shouldn't have bothered myself in this case. I phoned McBros, assuming that certain things about the gun could be easily negotiated (e.g. barrel make, barrel contour, barrel length, calibre, etc.), only to be informed that I could not have one in 6.5mm-284 Norma, or with anything but a 24" Schneider barrel with a 'Tubb' contour. Thanks McBros . . . but no thanks!!!

D.

ha, thats wrong they make them in all sorts of calibers some even have 28 inch 308 tubes on them. need to contact Tubb Directly. www.zediker.com they are coming out with a LR match gun version. remembers these are built for HP not BR

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited by: J Schulze ]

J.S.,
I know, I know . . . they're 'race-guns'! That's why I love the design! And just because a man has an affinity for heavier, single shot rigs doesn't mean he's a BR enthusiast. It's just that such rifles are invariably the most accurate rifles. As for my approach to this whole LR game, I never shoot off a bench except when I'm breaking in a new rifle or evaluating a new load. After all, you can reasonably put a Harris bipod on a 20 lb. rig and hump it into the back-country, but you can't reasonably do this with both the same rig and a bench!

Thanks for the website address, bro! I didn't get too much consideration from the guy I talked to at McBros this AM.

Regards,
Dave

one thing you might not like is the butt will catch every bush and peice of grass. heck my HP XTC gun will be a tried and proven winchester. I dont have 4 grand to plunk on a peice of aluminum

J.S.,
I just got back here from the site to which you directed me and the point you just made is exactly what I was thinking as I admired the main pic of the Tubb 2000t model! Something else also struck me. The butt stock is incompatible with a little implement that I have grown to rely on heavily when shooting at game > 500 yards . . . the Accu-Shot Monopod! Funny how these seemingly little obstacles become so pronounced when we get right down to the bottom line! Ergo, the Tubb 2000 is not in my future.

Regards,
Dave

Dave if you get a chance drop Cheri a line over at [email protected].

She has a 5500 acre ranch about 30 miles N of Del Rio,Tx for a hunt
wink.gif

Interesting stuff.
I got to take a few shots with a Tubb 2000 a couple of weeks back. The particular barrel on the rifle at the time was a 6.5-284 barrel but the guy has a total of four barrels which he can switch out at will. My guess is that any gunsmith can set up a barrel for one of them.

The trigger. That 2 stage anchuz (? sp)trigger is so superb that it will spoil you for anything else.
The recoil buffer. I was able to spot my own bullet impacts at the 800 yard steel target while shooting the 140 grain bullets at 3000 fps. The felt recoil was about like a 22-250 varmint rifle.
The adjustments. Everything can be adjusted to make it more comfortable to shoot from the length of pull to the angle of the grip to the height of the cheek piece.
The weight. The rig is heavy enough to be solid but not too heavy.
The bolt. working the 60 degree bolt was a one finger operation, about the slickest thing I have ever felt.

Dislikes:
Too long a wait to get one.
Not enough barrel choices from the factory.
Nothing to rest a rear bag on except the bottom of the grip.

Houston Boy,

Nice to hear from you. Give me a call or Ill try you later.

I got one of the first Tub 2000 in 6.5X284. Also I have the Accu-shot monopod on the back end on the sling swivel stud. It also has the Harris bipod, so it is very easy to shoot from the bench. I use Norma or Lapua brass for it. The Lapua tends to crack around the neck sooner than the Norma, but I got 10 loadings from them.

Its a nice shooting rig, but my biggest gripe, is the caliber or magazine length. The 6.5X284 with a 140 Sierra is to short overall length for the magazine. 2.825 OAL to feed from the magazine. I think 3.00 would be more ideal. Got over 2000 rounds through it and I plan to get a barrel in 260 for it with a muzzle brake. I use about 45 gr. of R-22 with the 140 Sierra and there is still alot of case capacity left. I think the 260 will be enough case capacity for the gun and you can seat the bullets out more.

They couple things I would like is a longer magazine, and for them to make it in a bigger bolt face. A 338 Lapua or 6.5 WSM Tubb 2003 would be nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.