Maximum free bore

TheDerkster

So I was pondering the question, what if I throat my 7mm to be optimized for 180 hybrids with out sacrificing case capacity on 195 eol. Is the free bore I'm gonna have with light bullets gonna be too much?

Main reason is for extremely flat shooting up to 2-300 yards. Say a 140 vld could probably be pushed to 3300-3400 fps and would likely explode on impact, but whitetail are thin skinned and I don't take shoulder shots. To much meat ruined.

Although im kind of worried about my 1:8 twist on anything that isn't a solid considering at 3400 fps, that's 306,000 rpm

All of my rifles are SAAMI throated, and I shoot Bergers almost exclusively. I have zero issues, and most of my rifles shoot 1/2 MOA or less. Unless you have a specific reason for custom throating, I honestly wouldn't worry with it.

All of my rifles are SAAMI throated, and I shoot Bergers almost exclusively. I have zero issues, and most of my rifles shoot 1/2 MOA or less. Unless you have a specific reason for custom throating, I honestly wouldn't worry with it.

Case capacity is the only reason. But I am doubtful that I could get enough velocity increase to make it worth it. I also ladder test, so I could ruinrun into a situation where I find the high node for accuracy and it's less than max case capacity anyway

I personally strive to use one bullet for everything, and have no problem burning a big fat bullet into an animal at 50yds.

However i view your dilemma like this.

I want the gun to be set up optimally to shoot the bullet it will be shooting the furthest, everything else i will make due.

I think that may apply here. You need your 195 to shoot well because you will be working harder and putting more into those shots.

A short fast bullet for 200-300 yds can shoot 2 moa all day and still be very deadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.