Maxed out elevation on VX3i

Zerk

Just bought a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10. Put it on Remington pump 760 30-06. Sighted in. Decided I wanted to put it on Savage 116, 30-06.

The 116 stainless, composite stock, I bought used from Cabelas. Looked close to new, sticker still on. I had them put on a VX2, 2-7. Used that for a couple years.

Leupold rings and 2 piece base.

So I set up big sheet of paper. 3 feet low.

When I took the scope off the Savage 116, I noticed what I know believe are metal shims. in the rings. After shooting so low, I put 2 inside rear scope ring. Turn scope all the up until it runs out of adjustment. Still about 2.5" low at 50 yards.

Rings are Leopold, and base is two piece standard Leopold.

Cabelas never mention anything to me after they mounted it, which ticks me off. I suppose go back to the 2-7, for some reason it worked. But I do have this brand new scope I just bought.

Suggestions? Start adding shims to the base? I though you were supposed to shim base, not inside of rings. But I don't know. Different rings to raise it?

Either way, not sure if I will get to shoot again before deer season. Went through 60 30-06s, between 3 guns today. I saved one, just in case I forgot to get more.

I was at camp and do not have alignment tools when mounting. But I don't think that would make this big of difference on elevation.

I do have some hand load Nosler partions, I have not tried yet. IMR4350. I have thought about shooting them, with hopes they are higher then the Corelockts Same speed, but better coefficient. Though at 100 yards, not sure that will make enough difference.

Thanks for help.

In case anyone searches this, here is what I found.

The front base is around 3/32" high, pushing an 1/8. I just got in the mail Wheeler alignment rods, but noticed it before I even got them one. Ya I know I don't need them for my ranges, I just like to play gunsmith.

I am ****ed at myself for not noticing, and ****ed at Cabelas for the job they did. Either the guy didn't know what they were doing, or just wanted to make the sale. The rectile wasn't level, so maybe the former or both.

****ed at all the ammo I wasted trying to site the new scope in. Even more so wondering what this did to the tube on the old VX2 or my new VX3i.

Now I need to figure out what to buy to match the front, or match the rear.

Usually I mount my own, but I bought the gun and scope from them at same time, so figured might as well.

It is the bases that are not the same height. The rear one is thicker. Now that I am looking, it is easy to see.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the scopes but a ring height difference of 3/32" sounds significant.

Start fresh with Burris bases and Signature series rings. This way you have the ability to use different bushings in case you have problems or just want more built in elevation without the risk of damaging the scope tubes.

Shims are rarely a good idea IMO.

I have had 2 separate Leupold base/ring combos that ran out of elevation. For standard scope mounting (no rail) I have gone to Talley lightweight mounts. I have never had an issue, and they fixed all the issues I had with the Leupold set ups.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.