Out of elevation

Kenster-Boy

I was shooting my rifle yesterday and realized once I went to dial in at longer ranges that I ran out of ajustment and was wondering what kind of base and rings to get for my Savage 112 BVSS (long action)? I was looking at getting a 20moa -30moa base. Any suggestions as to the brand would be greatly appreciated!
I have a leupold 1 inch scope on it now with leupold rings and bases.

7mmag man:

A friend of mine just went through this with a Savage and he went with the Farrell rings and 20moa base. This decision was based on his not wanting to spring for some of the higher priced tactical type setups. He's very happy with the setup and it seems to be a quality set of rings and base.

Just something to remember though, if you were to go with the Farrell. The Farrell 20moa base is slightly taller than most, so you can get by with the standard height rings unless you have a very large diameter barrel. He went with the 20moa base and standard rings and his 30mm scope with 50mm objective clears with room to spare.

Warne's Tactical rail comes in 0 or 20 MOA, and is about the lowest you can get for a Savage as far as height... reasonably priced also. I have a Farrel base if anyone wants it... too dang high. I use a SS16X42 scope on that particular gun, and even w/ low rings it's too high.

Monte

Is the Farrell rail that you have a short or long action? and is it for the older model savages or the newer accutrigger savages? It is the 20 MOA right? and how much do you want for it?
Thanks for the offer.

What has been mentioned is the best way to get MOA but another way that may work with your existing base is to get some Burris Signature rings with a couple 20 moa offset insert kits.

Put a +20 moa in the bottom of the rear ring, -20 in the top.

Put a -20 in the bottom of the front ring and a +20 in the top.

This will give you 40 moa.

You can order the 1" inserts with 10 moa and 20 moa so the combinations you can come up with are +10 moa, +20 moa, +30 moa, +40 moa.

Relatively cheap to add moa with your existing base if you are using a standard base sytem.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

You have me interested with this new form of adding moa to scope base and rings. But I am a little confused by this system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Does it put extra strain on the scope tube like shimming does or does it compensate for such troubles? Will the standard burris rings work on a leupold base? and wouldn't a 1 inch ring with incerts make the hole too small for a 1 inch tube? So does that mean that I need to order 30mm rings for a 1 in scope? And do they specify on the inserts what moa they are designed for? because the only ones that I could find were in thousandths of an inch. How does that convert to moa? What combination do I need to get 30 moa? (because 20 is too little and 40 is too much)

Also lastly my biggest concern is how solid is this setup? It seems that with so many variable and contact points it would have a much better chance of slipping.

7mm
There is no strain placed on the tube at all, in fact the plastic inserts ar self centering so you can't bend the tube.

I use them on a 300 WM and a 6.5-284 with scopes that only have 45" of vertical adj. in them. Both guns now have enough adj. to get to 1000 yds. and beyond.
Chris

7mmMag Man,

The inserts are shaped spherically on the top and flat on the inner portion that contacts the scope. Also, the rings are machined with this same spherical shape to match the outside diameter of the inserts.

This allows the inserts to self alighn in the rings and produce a totally non stressed mounting system. There is nothing that is easier on a scope then this system.

How do they hold? Well I have mounted them on 458 Lotts, 50 BMGs and even handguns in 500 S&W and have yet to every have a system slip when these rings and inserts are mounted correctly. This means totally cleaning and drying.

The inserts will grip nearly 200% more securely then any metal ring system simply because the composite inserts have a much higher frictional coefficent then steel or aluminum rings do.

Also, they will simply never mark the scope tube, EVER, if installed correctly and not ever tightened.

If you find a combo that gets this system to slip let me know as I have yet to find it. I do not endorse these to be used on 50 BMGs but I have used them with good results. Still I recommend a tactical style ring, not for scope hold integrity but for ring to base strength with heavy extreme range optical systems.

Yes, the standard Burris Signature rings will fit in the Leupold base. Be sure to apply moly grease to those dovetails but yes they work perfectly well.

The Burris Signature rings have a ring diameter that is much larger then 1", closer to 30mm and the inserts take up the extre area for the 1" scope tube. Order 1" signature rings for your 1" scope. FOr a 30mm scope you would order 30mm rings, same as any ring.

Each insert is clearly marked for its offset amount. They are marked with the following indicators: 0, -5, +5,-10, +10, -20, +20.

You are correct in that these are in Thousandths of an inch and not moa, my mistake. I do not have the direct conversion to MOA but I can assure you that you can easily get enough added MOA to take you to the outter limits of your rifles potential.

Go to http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html and this will explain the system better.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

7mmag man I have a set of the 1 inch inserts here that I ended up with after my last scope purchase but can not use them because my tube is 30 mm. It's the whole 1" *** align set with a +20, +5 ,+10 and a minus of each. Like I said I have no use for them and if you want to go the Burris signature ring route drop me an email with your address and I will send them to you. If you have to put + and - 20 in both rings it will keep you from having to buy 2 sets of inserts

Thanks to all for the help. This will definietly help me to get to at least 1200-1400 yards. Now all that I need to do is A LOT more practice so that maybe I can hit something with my extended moa ranges! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remember that the offset inserts are a matched set.

IF you use a +20 in the rear ring you have to use the -20 in the top of that ring. DO not use a +20 bottom with a 0 top or the rings will be larger around the scope body then the rings will allow and you will likely crush the scope tube.

Keep those sets together!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

It's a set of one inch and has never been opened and thats what was in there. One set of each 5, 10 , and 20.
The ones I needed came with my 30 mil rings. I had a brain lock when I ordered them knowing my tube was 30 mil I ordered a one inch *** align kit. DUHH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Some times that happens when I start spending money I go into brain seizures or something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was offering the set because I know if he wanted or needed 5,10, or 20 in both sets of rings he would need 2 *** align kits.
The way I made it sound in my post was confusing to even me now after reading it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sorry for the confusion!

7RUMloader,

I was sure we all knew what you were trying to say but just figured I would make the point before something did inot fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Don't worry, I have the same problems sometimes when spending money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.