Max load for .308 Win with IMR 4064 and 168's?

Duff

Max load for .308 Win with IMR 4064 and 168\'s?

I've kinda got some conflicting data from my manuels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've seen listed max as low as 43grs. and as high as 46 grs. How much are you using? I'm just looking for a suggested starting place and a suggested max load-I know every rifle is different. thanks-Duff

Re: Max load for .308 Win with IMR 4064 and 168\'s?

i use 42.5grs of 4064/varget with 178grAmax, those puppies get out there, compressed loads. if memory serves correct i think we used 50grs of H380 with 130gr Speers??? i would check it out first, this sound familar to anyone?

I don't use 40-64 for 168gr bullets as I get better results with Varget but the max listed I've seen is about 45grs , Nosler #5 book says 44.5 and another set of info I have says 46 , I'd say start at 43 and work your way up.
BUT , unless you have alot of this powder or your just dead set on using it you owe it to your self to try some Varget , it meters great and is very temp stabil.
4064 is a great powder in the 308 , I use it for 175gr bullets as it give a little better velocity

okay i have just purchased 150 grain sciroccos and when i did my group shooting not a single load i worked up put more than a three inch group out there. i was wondering if anyone has had the same problems or if anyone knows a better way of doing it. i used imr 4046. i worked from 47 to 49 and thought that maybe i seated them to deep and need to bring the overall length out...any suggestions. Maybe i should try Varget?

My first suggestion would be not to shoot anymore garbage through your gun and expect to get good groups. The Sciroccos are not known to be accurate bullets , in fact I have heard that they are very inconsistant by way of weight and shape.
If your planning to shoot your rig and see how well it preforms you owe it to your rifle to give it something that is able to shoot small groups.
And again , for the lighter bullets I have found Varget to be a better powder than the 4064 , that just what I have found is 6 differant 308s though yours could be differant.
If your looking to find a good accuracy load try a match bullet seated pretty close to the lands or as far out as your magazine will allow (some lands are real deap) and if your looking for a good hunting bullet then try the Nosler Ballistic tips for critters up to deer and the partitions for everything thats bigger. I know that the Ballistic tips are known for blowing up and "failing" but in most cases this is out of rifles that are pushing them alot faster than the 308 will and usualy at close range if you go to the 165gr you'll gain a little more sectional density and loose a little velocity which will only help in the expansion staying controled. And for the bigger critters , the 165gr Partition is awsome.

J.Jones
Gave the 4064 a whirl today and didn't have the luck I had with Varget. Best groups averaged around 3/4 to 1" (not as good as the varget) I started to get pressure signs at 45 grs. FWIW-thanks for you help.-Duff

Duff

I recomend that you start with a 168gr matchking,size trim
and weigh brass,sort withen .2tenths of a grain then start

In match shooting most people use CCI Benchrest or fed 210 m
primers.

The "trick" powder was 4895 or 4064 .

"BUT" My 308 Liked 3031 best.

I fired this load at 200,300,600 and 1000 yrds

My load was 41.5 grs of IMR3031,168 gr matchking,Fed 210m.

WARNING Work up to this load "VERY HOT"

GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING

In my Remington 308 VSS I use Sierra 168-grain MKs over 47-grains of BL-C#2 powder and a Federal 210 standard primer. Don't use the 210M the load shoots better with the 210 standard primer. I had the rifle rebarreled with a HART 1 in 12" twist and the load still shoots one hole. The Hornady A-Max 168-grain also shoots very well with this loading. You don't have to set the bullet to the lands. They can be seated to SAMI length and still shoot one hole! This load is not HOT in several 308 rifles that I have used it in, even in the heat of the summer. However it has worked very well for me, but you should start with 45.5 and work up.I have shot this load to 1000-yards and it shoots very well. Shooting from prone at 825-yards over my back pack I was able to hit three clay birds with three shots. Also using the 168-Sierra MK bullets I have killed white tailed deer. Yes they do kill deer very well! Exit hole is about the size of a silver dollar. Head shots leave the same results, a hole about the size of a silve dollar and quite dead!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.