Massive Deer Herd Fell To Death Near Bishop Pass

Wedgy

As if the 4 year drought, massive wildfires, and last years brutal winter weren't bad enough now we've lost at least 80 mule deer(I'm sure there will be more to come down) who fell down some iced up cliffs on their winter migration route out of the mountains. Some locals have wanted to put up a fence to prevent this but the forest service and DFG resist. I heard the couple who happened upon the scene in the morning were slitting throats of the mortally wounded to end their suffering. Nature can be brutal. This year the tags in both X9a & X9B were cut from ~600 each to about 200 in each zone, tags are bucks only. It previously took 4 or 5 years to draw a tag in one of those zones so times that by 3 so about 12 years to draw. The deer didn't go back up this year until July because of heavy snow and they will stay up until the weather chases them down. Conditions were perfect for this type of tragedy, a late winter and an iced up migration route. It happens every year to some extent but never this bad.
Highway 168 is the border with X9A to the North & X9B to the South.
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG950002.jpg

What a shame are muley hunting here is in the toilet too.Wolfs hell on them,what I used to see in day for bucks is now whole season

What a shame are muley hunting here is in the toilet too.Wolfs hell on them,what I used to see in day for bucks is now whole season
Mountain lions are protected here and they do a number on the deer as well.

mismanagement is disgusting. timber, water, game animals ?
Folks that slit the suffering animals throats could get in trouble for their good deed.
cant end a vehicle hit animals suffering here, its against the law.

People/hunters should unite and complain about mismanagment with in the forest service and the DFG. Some way or other get rid of these people. This is totally unaceptable and some heads should roll because of it. What a terrible waste of beautiful animals, it makes me sick just thinking of how these animals suffered. Any way to start some type of patition to get some attention to this?

'
People/hunters should unite and complain about mismanagment with in the forest service and the DFG. Some way or other get rid of these people. This is totally unaceptable and some heads should roll because of it. What a terrible waste of beautiful animals, it makes me sick just thinking of how these animals suffered. Any way to start some type of patition to get some attention to this?

It's California...

Is there an original article with those pictures? I've seen it a couple places, a bit different story and area with each thread...

I have been putting in for the G3 unit hunt which is one of the last hunts in California for the year. Its a December hunt. These deer that were killed were migrating to that area which is their winter range. There are only 32 tags for that hunt. I have attempted to draw it for the past 14 years with no success due to not having max points which is 15 unless there is a points creep. The DFG board of commissioners has more anti hunters on it then sportsmen so I am sure the only thing that will change would be to close the areas completely and let the cats eat everything like everywhere else.

What a sad tragedy, and to think it could have been avoided with some common sense.

I simply hate California, not you guys--I feel for you--but what has become of that incredible state managed by absolute liberal c*nts....beyond despicable.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.