Marlin 925M .22WMR Sniper Rifle!

TacticalHits

I'm just kidding about the sniper rifle part:D. I just bought my brother a new Marlin 925M Wood stock in .22mag, We take out my .270win and .300wsm and shoot them out past 700yds all the time, but I was wondering what kind of range you could we get out of his rifle? Lets say with just bedding it, maybe trigger, plus quality scope and rings? I'm looking for usable range groups under 10inches. This is our first .22 mag and I don't know the actual target hitting distance for this caliber. This gun will manly be used for target shooting, but some varmint and coyote hunting will be needed also, but not long range! Thanks guys.gun)

This might be useless info for you but my son has a Marlin 952C 22lr that he shoots at 200yds and keeps his groups under 4 inches. Not sure how that would translate to 22wmr.

Jacob

Using a Win Target 22lr w/long lyman scope 500 yards was quite fun on a full size steel yote.

Hits went in sperts. Wind and mirage really messed things up but when ya were on the "tinks" were quite pleasing to hear.

Have fun.

So we might be able to get hits out to 500yds maybe? That would be cool, my brother is a crack shot, and out shoots his big brother sometimes too!:rolleyes: So with this gun having a wood stock, bedding the action and barrel would be better than free floating the barrel right? I have never had a rifle with a wood stock. On all my rifles I free float the barrels, but I thought that wood stock rifles are better with bedding the barrel? Any info on that would be helpful!

Thanks, Nathan.gun)

just for fun I'm shooting a Rossi 22lr, one of those little break open things, with a 29 dollar scope at the gong @ 300 yds and can do the "dink" thing as often a a poor shootin' 308 with a poor pilot.

I was shooting at the little gong and he was shooting at the big gong. Was quite humorous.:D

I just picked up a used wood stocked 25MN, (discontinued I think), and I will SteelBed it with a pillar under the action screw and float the barrel. I would recommend that you float the barrel for consistency. A stock that bears on the barrel can push it around with changes in temperature, humidity, and your hold / or rest.

I sight a .22Mag in at 100 yds and expect to get approx 1 moa, or sometimes better, at that range. The most accurate rifle I had was a H & K Mod 300 semiauto. I'm hoping that the Microgroove barrel will be a good shooter too. The most accurate ammo for me so far has been Super X hollowpoints and Remington Premier. I haven't thought about shots past 150 yds, but would expect 2"- 3" groups at 200 yds. That's just a guess though. I don't have any doubt that the Mag would score hits at 500 yds on a target, but I wouldn't shoot an animal at that range with it.

Enjoy, Tom

Thanks for the responses guys. Still if there is anyone with the .22mag caliber that has done some long range work let me know! Thanks Nathan,

ps. What would be a good way to get an aftermarket trigger for this gun, since I doubt I can just buy one for it. Do I just need to take it to a gun smith and have him work the trigger, or buy a trigger and have it modified for this gun? My other guns have stock triggers, but I don't particularity care for the stock trigger, which is a bit heavy.

Check with Brownell's. Catalog #61 pg 113 shows Marlin rimfire triggers for 900 series and pre-900 rifles. $81.95, but might be worth it.

Good luck, Tom

i have a savage 93 scope combo and i can depending on the bullet shoot out to 300 yds holding a real tight maybe 4-5 in with about a foot of hold over. thats as far as ive shot my mag cuz thats the futhest distance i can go at my home range i find the 40 gr rounds go further, and at that distance depending on the conditions that wieght is probably your best bet the lighter 33 gr bullets have a flat laser trajectory but get blown about past about 200yds. i feel that the 22 wmr could go out further but anything past 300 you should use a 45 gr bullet just because of the fact that it will put a bit more hurt on the target. read the section on the savage 93 report i posted cool info there toogun). i had my rifle sighted in at 50 yds for a bit. According to the ballsitic calculator the round should drop about 6 in at 100 yd, my results were no drop at 100 maybe 1 in at 150 3in at 200 yds then about 6-8 in at 250 and finally a foot at 300 yds, so when someone says the 22 wmr drops like a rock after 100 yds my results
using fiocchi jsp 40 grain bullets at 200 yds it starts to drop pretty quickly so to kill something id say 250-300 yds max depending on the round and the critter

Last edited:
I have a marlin 925m with a 4-16X50mm custom scope. It will drop yotes with a decent head shot right round the ear at about 300 meters with cci maxi-mags. Any further the round just doesn't quite have the power. However, up to about 210 meters a good lung shot will work every time using any ammo. If you use the cci rounds it will clean through a 35 to 40 pounder. Bobcats and smaller game with ease up to 400m. Good luck to Yall

I had one of the older Marlin 22 mags with a very poor trigger. Took it to my gun smith and he reworked it and made it quite good. I think it started at about 8 pounds and he got it to about 2# with little to no creep and very crisp.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.