Savage -VS-Marlin Bolt Action Rimfire Rifles

wildcat

Hey guys I am getting ready to either buy a Savage Or Marlin rimfire rifle. I don't know if I should go with the 17HMR or the 22WMR. This rifle will only be used for shots out to 150 yards. I have some questions for you guys before I make my decision; The model rifles I am looking at are the Marlin 917VS-CF in 17HMR or 22WMR or the Savage 93R17-FVSS or the 93FVSS in 22WMR;

1. What rifle is better; Marlin or Savage

2. What rifle is more accurate; Marlin or Savage

3. What Rimfire would you suggest; 17HMR or 22WMR

4. I only want to spend $400

I ve owned a Ruger bolt action 17HMR and loved it. I sold it and wished I hadn't. However, this time I don't want to spend that much money on a rimfire rifle, and I don't want to spend $800 to customize a rimfire to make it shoot good. I have heard both the Savage and Marlin bolt action rimfires are really accurate. However, I would like to here what you guys think.

I already have a nice Leupold VX-I for the rifle, so I just need to pick the rifle.

Jake

I have heard better things about the savage's, but don't have first hand experiance.

i prefer the 17hmr, but if you are going to be shooting a little bigger critters than I'd get the mag. I have shot both a lot, and the 32 gr v max bullets for the 22 mag sure do hit hard, and they buck wind a little better than those light 17 grainers.

both super fun guns, I love rimfires, but depends on what you want to shoot. I lean toward the 17, but thats my opinion.

1. What rifle is better; Marlin or Savage
<font color="red">No experience with a Marlin but my Savage 93R17HMR has worked flawlessly and the trigger is easy to rework lighter </font>

2. What rifle is more accurate; Marlin or Savage
<font color="red">Again no experience with the Marlin but the Savage has shot everthing I have loaded into it minute of prarie dog out past 150 yards.The POI changes but groups have ben consistant </font>

3. What Rimfire would you suggest; 17HMR or 22WMR
<font color="red">If you are thinking Coyotes I would or just a plinker I would go 22WMR(cheaper and hits harder).If prairie dogs or ground squirrels are the target the 17HMR is very hard to beat! </font>

4. I only want to spend $400
<font color="red">I baught the package gun from Cabelas for right at $200(cheaper than just the gun???)but replaced the BSA scope and cheap rings with Leupold. </font>

My lite barreled Savage shoots as good as a buddies bull barreled Stainless so I'm not convinced its worth the extra cost and weight??

have a marlin in a 17hmr and I too have found poi to change but the groups are good. If you get the HMR I would only shoot the 20gr. xtp if it is anything bigger than a ground squirle. Have not tried on p-dogs for we dont have them here but the 17gr. vmax dosen't work very well on chucks. Just from what I have seen.

Thanks, for all the info guys. I will be using this rifle for ground squirrels out to 150 to 200 yards. It looks like I am going to go with the Savage, I've heard excellent things about the Savage. I am thinking I might go with 22 WMR because it hits harder and the ammo is cheaper, however, I still have not made up my mind on caliber.

Wildcat

I went through this same decision..here's what I came up with..

17HMR with 17gr v-max @ 2550fps.
22WMR with 33gr v-max @ 2100fps..

the 22 mag won out here.. lose only 400FPS to double my bullet weight.. I'll do that everytime...

Marlin vs Savage..
I have one buddy with a Marlin 17HMR. I have a Savage in 22 mag and a buddy with the same.. Another buddy has a savage 17 HMR.

They all shoot very good.. the 22 mags really like the 33 gr remingtons. The 17HMR only has 2 choices a 17gr or a 20 gr there is not much choice there.
The Savage 17 had problems feeding the 20gr.

Now if you carry them much the Savage is the preference due to the 5 rd mag instead of the 7 rd as the 7 rounder will dig into your back worse.

So for me the choice was a Savage 93R FVSS.

If I was shooting gophers the 17 might win out. But I shoot lots of beavers and the 22 mag with the heavier bullets was the choice for me. It still works real well on gophers too.

I know it wasn't part of the original question, but if you haven't yet, you really owe it to yourself to pick up a CZ452 and give it a try. Especially w/ the trigger lightened up ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like other bolt action rimfires also.. but the CZs are especially nice.

hi,
I have the 917v marlin with bull barrell. I have not tried the Savage yet. I love my Marlin 917HMR. it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I have not shot anything except squirrells and it is excellent for them. been hunting for 50yrs, started with 22lr. remington and shot thousands of rounds, killed a lot of squirells. I think it is great practice for deer season and shooting my 30-06.
Hope to try the 17 on coyotes, been reading about people who do as long as you hit them in the head.
Good luck with your choice,I'm sure you will like which ever one you pick, they are both good guns and calibers.

cleasley

With a $400 budget, you could get a CZ 455 and have 17HMR, 22LR, and 22MAG in one rifle. I got mine for $425 out the door. VERY nice rifles.

wildcat,
There's some serious age to this posting and we've not read if you've made a purchase or decision, yet. :rolleyes:

I recommend the Savage, because it offers a better trigger and a good rifle can be made or broken with a trigger.

As far as accuracy, I've owned both brands and they're both good. However, when it comes to calibers the 17HMR rules...in any brand.

The most accurate .22 mag. that I've owned was a Henry. It was hands down more accurate than my Marlin 883 (tube fed bolt action), Marlin 25mn (clip fed bolt action) and Taurus 72 (pump action).

Good luck with your choices! :)
Bowhunter57

I have the marlin in 17hmr. I love it, it is the most accrate rifle I have ever shot. I put a 17 scope on it that is made for that caliber and it is dead on up to 150 yds. It is deadly on squirrels, you can literally shoot their eyes out. It has replaced my Remington 22lr for squirells. I just use it for plinking since the ammo is much less expensive.

Good luck,
Coonman:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.