Marks on bullet. What is going on here?!?!

So I finally got around to shooting this rifle. The marks on the bullet are gone however I'm still getting major ejector swipe regardless of load. From 39 to 42.5 gr (h4350) in half grain increments. Velocities from 2603 to 2817 (increased linearly). The swipe looked the same on the 39 load as it did on the 42.5. Gunwerks (ADG) brass. Can't figure this out. No other real pressure signs. Help!
If all this is on new brass, brass may be undersized and growing in length more than normal, this would cause the case head to slam into the bolt face, and ultimately ejector marks and false pressure indicators.
So if it is, see if fired brass chambers, if it does, try getting some neck tension on a handful of cases w/o any marks and re-fire them. Let us know what they look like.
I despise primer cratering, but gave up using it as a pressure sign yrs ago, especially on new brass.

More good intel, milo-2. But, while I agree that primer cratering isn't always a sign of pressure, it sure says something is amiss! I have another problem with primers; one factory ammo, and it's a good brand, hates being shot in my AR10. Works fine in bolt rifles; handloads work fine in both. But those factory rounds blow the primers out! Yes, out ! I have had two independent sources tell me it's the ammo. I've tried another brand and it works like it should, so yeah, it's the bad factory ammo build. Anyways, bottom line again for you is to get a competent smith to figure it out.

More good intel, milo-2. But, while I agree that primer cratering isn't always a sign of pressure, it sure says something is amiss!
Yes I agree, one can fire untold rds while cratering primers and be fine, but at some point it has to turn the firing pin tip into a pointed spike causing even more problems.
Off the top of my head, other than the bolt shroud, or aluminum bolt knob, the firing pin has to be some of the softest material in a bolt gun.

Thanks for all the input guys. Rather than reply to each I'll reply here and update you all on what I'm finding.
-this is brand new brass. All measuring at 1.910 or a thou under.
-when I chamber an UNFIRED round I DO get some minimal swipe. Not as bad as a fired case but it is there.
-when I try and rechamber a fried case it is very very difficult. Upon extraction the case head shows another very bad swipe.
-for kicks I tried to chamber a fired piece of Hornady brass. This was fired before they switched out the barrel. Same result. Excessive swipe

regarding backing down the charge: I started it at 39gr which appears to be close to the min charge with this setup. Also my velocity is just over 2600 anything lower than that doesn't seem feasible to me. I don't think this is an hot load issue but As Forrest Gump said "I am not a smart man.

in over my head here so any thoughts you guys have are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I think some have mentioned it already but is the barrel truly squared with the action? Had the same problem on an AR platform until I lapped the receiver and bedded barrel in with some locktite. Now no swipes. I know yours is probably a bolt action but still could be the same issue.

I think some have mentioned it already but is the barrel truly squared with the action? Had the same problem on an AR platform until I lapped the receiver and bedded barrel in with some locktite. Now no swipes. I know yours is probably a bolt action but still could be the same issue.
No idea if it's squared up or not. I guess a smith would have to verify it for me. About tired of dealing with this gun tbh.

You would think Christensen would have test fired before sending out considering this came back to them. Surely they would be able to identify this. Send it back to them and have them make it right, again.

All their rifles for that matter. This seams to be a trend. I got high pressures with below book minimum loads. My Christensen barrel is now off and awaiting a replacement from Carbon Six.

What GLTaylor said. A competent Smith/ Machinist, would of known to true the bolt face and lugs after removing the barrel and reaming it out. It's all part of the process. Today in dealing with Machine shops or anyone else for that matter, you have to communicate every step of the process, so they know to follow up on every thing the customer wants done. The work order states pretty much every thing that gets done in a shop this day and time. With the corona virus going around, some of these shops are operating on a very thinned out crew. "Delivery guys running machines and assembling product." And it sounds like this is what's happening with the shop, you do business with. I'm Not trying to make up excuses for the shop, that has you standing on your head. " All that falls under what Javman said.",,, It's like, when I take my Company car in and have it serviced. I don't expect to have to tell them to remove the oil drain plug before they drain the oil, and replace it before they put the new oil in. LOL Hey, keep us posted on the out come of this mess. I've read a good bit of info, on what might be going on with your rifle here in this forum, Some good ideas. Still It's a 50/50 on what it might be.

Google this issue on this forum and you will see more than one have had this exact issue. I am surprised they continue to send these out. I guess Q/C means Quick check and in you don't use a check to pay for anything anymore so quick CC exchange.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.