Mark V Threat Response Custom Rifle

casilva43

I currently own a Remington Sendero in .338 RUM which I took on my first moose hunt in BC last fall. While hunting, I was introduced to the Weatherby 338-378. I found a Mark V Threat Response Rifle in 338-378 for $1850. Would it be worth the money? Will I get any benefit out of this rifle over my current .338 Rum?

Ballistics put the Weatherby round well above the 338 RUM. Just MY personal opinion...Weatherby rifles and brass are expensive. If you have no issues with the cost, then go for it. I own a few Weatherby rifles, but am in the process of selling them for that reason. They shoot great, but for the price of each gun, and componenets, I would have been better off having a custom built to my specs, in a caliber that I wanted.

Just my opinion......

What's the barrel length of the 338-378 you're looking at?

IMO, it takes atleast a 28in to 28+ length tube to make that big 378 case outshine your 338RUM.

If both have 26in barrels, IMO, it would not be worth it.

But I believe it's only 26inches of barrel and 2in. of break to get that advertised 28in. overall barreled length. Same way on the Accumarks with the Accubrake. Infact, it appears to be pretty much the exact same thing as a Accumark just with a different stock.

Did you find the 338 RUM to be inadequate for moose hunting?

The 338-378 is a rather specialized cartridge that very few conditions really warrant, at least in my opinion. Unless you feel under-gunned with the 338 RUM I wouldn't waste the 2 grand.

This coming for a weatherby guy, I would pass. The threat response is a nice system, but with 1850 and your currrent setup I could have a much nicer Custom than any weatherby off the shelf.

If you need more power than the 338 RUM then step up to the 338 Edge. The 338-378 will be about 150-200 FPS faster, but how much do you really need?

For a grand, you could send your RUM off to one of the smiths on this sight, have a custom barrel chambered in anything you want, and I promise it will out shoot that weatherby! Heck, 1850 and a 1.5moa guarantee, you can do better.

I shoot a custom built of a weather MKV action. I have shot a weatherby since I was 14 when I bought myself my first hunting gun. I just think they are getting a little over priced when I can get a custom built for the same or less money!

I have both the 338 RUM and the 338-378 wby. I hunt with both. In my opinion if your 338 RUM is accurate I would hold pat. You have all the rifle you will ever need. If you have the money and want the best the 338-378 wby is at the top and will get you on average 250 fps more velocity. If you plan on shooting extreme range the extra velocity comes in handy. The 338-378 wby is fun to shoot and the extra velocity over the 338 RUM and 338-300 RUM is noticable, however not neccesary at any reasonable hunting distance. I have used the 338 winchester effectively to 1100 yards on big game and it is much less than either.

I have a .338 RUM and have had a .340 Weatherby on a Mark 5 action. I would say that if you have a senduro in .338 RUM that your better off. I love weatherby actions but they are so overpriced that it makes me wonder how they stay in business. I cant really shoot well beyond 800-900 yards so I have no expeience or need for the extra KE that comes with the .338-.378.

On a side note I had a very poor blueing job on my weatherby. Senduro's are all stainless.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.