Mark V .257 WBY advice wanted

d_wit22

So I recently picked up a Mark V backcountry chambered in 257 Weatherby mag. In the beginning stages of figuring out optics and factory loads that would work mainly for deer hunting. Curious if anybody else has experience they would be willing to share with me what works for them in their Mark V? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance

So I recently picked up a Mark V backcountry chambered in 257 Weatherby mag. In the beginning stages of figuring out optics and factory loads that would work mainly for deer hunting. Curious if anybody else has experience they would be willing to share with me what works for them in their Mark V? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance
With regards to scope, you need to provide more information. Budget and personal preferences such as SFP vs. FFP, magnification range (min/max), etc., the more pertinent information, the better the yield. Are there scopes you have looked at/considered?

So I'd like to stay under $1000. I don't have a preference on SFP or FFP. I've been looking at the Vortex Razor, Leupold VX5, and some Athlon scopes. Trying to find something lightweight for backcountry hunts

I think you'll find that most of the factory offerings can work for deer. Hard thing right now is to locate some of that factory ammo.

If I wanted one of the best mil for weight Mark 5 3-18 x44 at 26 oz,vortex has think a lht?15x on top end good,vx5 good.I like mil.My old marvk 4 6-20x is going on my 6.5 prc,6# rifle.22 0z.I shot a ton of game with a 4-14x50 on a 340wby,varx3

Last edited:
So mine loves the 115gr bt for deer the 110 accubnd shot well also for factory. They just hammer deer and pigs. If going for elk I would lean on the accubond.

I had the same question a while back. Leupold vx5, vortex razor lht, and NF shv is what I got down too. Actually got tons of responses on another forum. Ended up with the Leupold. Put it on a 260 rem hunting rifle. Replaced the nxs 2.5-10x42. Wanted better low light performance and a simple reticle.

Last edited:
reloads,but mine shoots tight 110 AB,have barnes for elk.But also my 338nm my elk belter

Mine is a Weatherby Ultra Light Left hand. It will shoot factory 100 grain Select into less than .5 for 3 shots. Loaded with 7828 SSC, 215 Fed in Weatherby brass, it will do .25 consistently with either the 117 Hornady or the 100 grain Barnes TTSX. Both loads are close to max, work up carefully. I have a 4.5x14x40 Leupold VX3 with Boone and Crocket Reticle on it. Very easy to wack stuff at 800 or less, great low light and easy to see fairly uncomplicated reticle. Zeroed at 300.

I like the 110gr Accubond for deer, and any other game. It's accurate and consistent. I tried the 110gr Hornady Interbond on paper and it too is accurate but I've been so happy with the Accubond that I've never actually used the Interbond hunting yet.
When selecting a scope, don't have too high a bottom end where field of view is too small for close range moving targets. My 257 WM wears a 3-20 S&B.

I shoot both the Weatherby 115bst and the 110 accubond from my 257 WBY Mag. They both shoot excellent groups and have seen no reason to go to hand loads at this point. They are both devastating bullets out to 800 yards. My only issue with the gun/ammo is that inside 200 yards there is a lot of meat damage.

If you reload and run a 10 twist check out the 92 grain hammers. Running them north of 3800fps ( probably could get more) into little groups with 7828 ssc.. Running a Zeiss HD 3x15 with good luck .
Have fun it is a fun one.

Wanting to get this same rifle, want to sell off a vanguard in same caliber and rem 700LR in 7RM. I would probably get a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm.

Recent Posts