mark 4 vs sightron S3

cASScade, glad i gave you a chuckle. maybe you can read the reviews on 6mmbr, accurate shooter and others who have compared the S3 side by side with the Nightforce. like Paul said, because they had the 2 scopes when they compared them, i will value their opinions about them more than yours.

Have you directly compared an SIII to a Mark4? Like one of the prior posters did? The one that said the SIII walked away from the Mark4?

For there to be value to your post, you need to explain your basis for it.

Dude, just having some fun with you guys. And btw I don't waste my time with sightron as good as they may be because I simply don't have the time.. What I have compared for years, in field use conditions, is about every scope worth saying. I have run a many leupy agnist my schmidts(classics,pm2s and zeniths many of all.), hsoldts and my diavaris, swaros phs and alines, kahles, many NFs a few IORs and an elite or 2. So the it was night and day comments really cracks me up on this stuff. We run 3x to 40x boosters on res and try them til dark not dusk under many non moonlit nights. I am sure the s3 is a solid scope with excellent glass. As far as what some guy said somewhere else I could G A S. I take what I see not someone else with an agenda or bias. Its fun to play around with glass and lord knows they are getting out of reach for many of us price wise. Its good we now so many good companies to choose from. Word of advice, if at all possible try as many as you can in as many different conditions as you can, and box test them all and you will find yourself a well made optic.

I don't own either the Mark4 of the S3 scopes, so I have no ownership loyalty to either scope. But I always seem to have the need to pick up a new scope so I try to keep track of the latest, greatest offerings with so many new scopes becoming available. I was trying to gain clarification on the basis for your comparisons on these two scopes. It sounds like you've looked through and used a lot of different scopes, but not the Sightron S3s.

If you're willing to share, how does the IOR glass compare to the Nightforce NXS? Any notable difference in resolution or light transmission - one way or the other?

The NFs I have and had have been great as far as res. go, 56s better than 50s, most I've seen anyway, although most I have are 50s. I have seen IORs that were absolutely outstanding, I mean as good as anything I have seen, but I have also seen more dudds in their line than the NF. If you can try not to buy sight unseen or order several peices if possible and pick the best. You would be suprised how scopes of the same make and model vary, even in top makes. I think NF is more conistant and the name recognition along with resale make them hard to beat with almost anything for their intended pourpose. Are you using them for hunting or range work or both.

Thanks for sharing your comparison opinion on the Nightforce NXS and IOR scopes. My use is strictly hunting. No competition shooting.

Weird about the different levels of optics quality when dealing with the same brand of scopes, but your experience isn't manufactured using lenses built by different manufacturers/suppliers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.