Maral hunting in the mountains of Kazakhstan

Those Maral look a lot like our elk. Tell us about the wolf and the hunting there.

Kazakhstan is quite amaizing in terms of hunting. There are big populations of marals, roe deer, pigs and ibex in the mountain part of the country, goose in the north, bear and moose in the east and wolf in all regions. In addition we also have sheep but now this hunting is prohibited. Hunting season for majority objects opens on September 1 and lasts until December 31. For wolf you can hunt almost the whole year except March and April.

On mountain animals we usualy hunt either riding on a horse or on foot. The altitude of hunting in the mountains is about 2500-4000 meters and temperature is between 15 to -20 Celsius degree. Wolves are very desirable trophy for Kazakhs. To get a real wild hunter is the number 1 objective for every hunter. The most effective way to take a wolf is to use a snowmobile or a 4wd car.

The biggest issue of the hunting business is illegal hunting. Low living level in rural area pushes locals to violate rules to feed their families. Unfortunately it is not really controled by authorities. So, actually that is it if say briefly about hunting in Kazakhstan. If someone has any further questions regarding hunting in Kazakhstan please let me know.

Didn't you know you need at least a .338 to kill an animal that big past 300 yards :)

Beautiful animals and country. You have a perfect compliment of rifles also. Nice light .308 that is obviously very capable and a dedicated longrange hammer. Thanks for the interesting story from your corner of the world.

Kazakhstan is quite amaizing in terms of hunting. There are big populations of marals, roe deer, pigs and ibex in the mountain part of the country, goose in the north, bear and moose in the east and wolf in all regions. In addition we also have sheep but now this hunting is prohibited. Hunting season for majority objects opens on September 1 and lasts until December 31. For wolf you can hunt almost the whole year except March and April.

On mountain animals we usualy hunt either riding on a horse or on foot. The altitude of hunting in the mountains is about 2500-4000 meters and temperature is between 15 to -20 Celsius degree. Wolves are very desirable trophy for Kazakhs. To get a real wild hunter is the number 1 objective for every hunter. The most effective way to take a wolf is to use a snowmobile or a 4wd car.

The biggest issue of the hunting business is illegal hunting. Low living level in rural area pushes locals to violate rules to feed their families. Unfortunately it is not really controled by authorities. So, actually that is it if say briefly about hunting in Kazakhstan. If someone has any further questions regarding hunting in Kazakhstan please let me know.

Indeed a beautiful country with many games to offer. The closest I've gotten to Kazakhstan is Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan in 2004.

Thanks for sharing info, esp your awesome hunt and harvest!

Haven't been here for a long time. I have just returned from a hunting for maral. In short, it was an amazing ramble when I had joy, perplexity, disappointment and finally satisfaction :rolleyes:
I was really disappointed when I missed a marla on 364 m, with 21 angel degree down.
But I was really happy next day when I hit one on 245 m with 30 angle degree down. Not LRH but anyway....
Equipment:
Rem 700 XRC II, 300 winmag
Nightforce 2,5-10-32 MOAR
Leica 1600B
Vortex 8x42 viper
Accubond 180 gr.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 84
I miss Kazakhstan, thanks for posting. The hunting is amazing, and the hospitality there is unparalleled. In addition to big game, kazakhstan has the best Chukar hunting I've seen anywhere in the world....

I miss Kazakhstan, thanks for posting. The hunting is amazing, and the hospitality there is unparalleled. In addition to big game, kazakhstan has the best Chukar hunting I've seen anywhere in the world....
Thank you for good words about Kazakhstan and its hospitality. You are absolutely right, Chukar hunting is amazing here. When were you in Kazakhstan and in which region?

One pic from this Maral hunting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 77
I was there in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Off and on, I spent most of 2010 there. Mostly in the area around taraz, and some in the area around Almaty. I was working with farmers , mostly on water developments, and some small scale renewable energy work. It gave me a chance to spend a lot of time in some great hunting areas.

I spent a lot of time in the Sandy lands out of Taraz, and was able to do a lot of Pheasant hunting there too....and of course wolves...

I was there in 2009, 2010 and 2011. Off and on, I spent most of 2010 there. Mostly in the area around taraz, and some in the area around Almaty. I was working with farmers , mostly on water developments, and some small scale renewable energy work. It gave me a chance to spend a lot of time in some great hunting areas.

I spent a lot of time in the Sandy lands out of Taraz, and was able to do a lot of Pheasant hunting there too....and of course wolves...
Rich regions in terms of hunting. I have never hunted in taraz area but heard a lot about good ibex taken there.
We had a similar project for supporting farmers in taraz area together with Washington State University...

my wirehair pointers and my rifles and shotguns are ready for a trip,,,

especially with the word chukar and "elk" hunting
Welcome to Kazakhstani hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.