Long range deer hunting in the Midwest .

KzDurango

Hi guys I'm kinda new to long range deer hunting. We are limited to 35 caliber or larger
I shoot 35 whelen improved . My question here is the wind blows pretty steady at 10-25 mph
So what tools are you guys using to range and measure wind for that 1 maybe 2 shots your going to get ? I have StrelokPro app on phone
And vortex fury range binos . Is their something else out their that does everything in 1 peice of equipment?

Hi guys I'm kinda new to long range deer hunting. We are limited to 35 caliber or larger
I shoot 35 whelen improved . My question here is the wind blows pretty steady at 10-25 mph
So what tools are you guys using to range and measure wind for that 1 maybe 2 shots your going to get ? I have StrelokPro app on phone
And vortex fury range binos . Is their something else out their that does everything in 1 peice of equipment?
I'm in Missouri as well, but I've never heard of this .35 caliber or larger restriction. Is this some kind of local requirement?

I'm not aware of a single piece of kit that will range and measure wind, and I don't thin k you get the whole wind picture just measuring at your shooting site anyway. Wind can vary in direction and intensity from your muzzle to the target, which is why reading the wind is such a critical skill - certainly one I have not mastered.

I'm in Missouri as well, but I've never heard of this .35 caliber or larger restriction. Is this some kind of local requirement?

I'm not aware of a single piece of kit that will range and measure wind, and I don't thin k you get the whole wind picture just measuring at your shooting site anyway. Wind can vary in direction and intensity from your muzzle to the target, which is why reading the wind is such a critical skill - certainly one I have not mastered.
Not hunting in Missouri.
It would be across the state line into Iowa . Their laws are different then here in Missouri

How long of a distance are you looking at where you're hunting? I'm in Iowa also, up in Muscatine near the Mississippi. I would have to work hard to find a spot where I would be shooting at a deer over 300 yards. I hunt the late muzzleloader season with either a .357 Max in a TC Encore or a .350 Remington Mag in XP-100. What part of Iowa are you hunting?

I've been intrigued by the 375 Ruger. I don't know much about it, but it looks like it may have some promise. It's the 300 PRC parent case which is popular

Recent Posts