Maral hunting in the mountains of Kazakhstan

I know the project quite well. I did much of the work in Taraz on the project as well as some in Almaty. I was part of the original assessment team that designed the project. Long story, but Chris talked me into going after I told him no. I really enjoyed it, the countryside there is very similar to where I farm/ranch in Northeastern oregon in the U.S.

I know the project quite well. I did much of the work in Taraz on the project as well as some in Almaty. I was part of the original assessment team that designed the project. Long story, but Chris talked me into going after I told him no. I really enjoyed it, the countryside there is very similar to where I farm/ranch in Northeastern oregon in the U.S.
Such a small world! :) hard to believe....
Aren't you going to Kazakhstan in short future by accident? Please let me know if you go to Almaty.

It is a small world. I want to go back, and will try to in the next year sometime, although i'm busy on projects in Rwanda and Malawi. I'll definitely let you know when I'm heading back over.

My harvest of last three huntings in the mountains in this December:
- Maral - 250 m.
- Roe deer - 450 m.
- Ibex - 380 m.
Rifle - Browning BAR Short Trac, 308, composite.
Nikon Monarch 2-8x32
A-Max 168 gr.
Leica 1600-b
Vortex Viper HD 8x42

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Those are Beautiful Pictures of your hunt and sounds like an awesome rifle setup you have . Please share more with us . Merry Christmas to you and keep up the Great Hunting .

Haven't been here for a long...
This is my last autumn maral taken in Kazakhstan.
A rig - Browning Bar Short trac 308
Hornady A-max 168
Optic - Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 MOAR
Distance 300 meters.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 78
Many thanks Bruce.
Yes it was young deer with good meet. Actually I prefer meet to trophy.

Last year this maral was second one.
The first was taken by Blaser R93 in 6.5x55 Amax 140 (2755 ft/s) at 220 yards. Very good and adequate cartridge for maral.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.