Making .22. Cal bullets at home

cornshank

I'm not exactly sure but I found this homade jig type thing in the barn, of old gunsmith friend and had looked at it a bunch of times ,trying to figure out what it was ?

Then today I looked at it again and the light bulb finally turned on ,when I noticed the hollow tube, so I grabbed the roll Of lead of the gunsmiths and a cigar box ,full of copper casings and it all came together.
See pics
Not sure what next step was but wouldn't know the piece of equipment or die
If I saw it.
Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good post. We almost bought some Corbin Presses 20 years ago to make our own bullets.
I called them not long ago because I was interested in swaging some .277 bullets to .264. He said he wouldn't entertain doing that because the deformation would be extreme. IIRC he said .004-.0045 was maximum to be productive.

So much for my great idea. Seems to happen to me a lot more these days. Must be related to the knots on my head.

Check this site:

Mr. Corbin has been forming bullets for eons.
+1 on this info, as a student at SDI we just did a week long course on bullet swaging and most of the information was from Corbin. Seem like a great idea but man can you spend some money in a hurry. No room on my bench for one of those swaging presses.

The pic is a coil of lead wire, and a core cutter. You cut the core to the approximate weight, then form the core in a Form die(Squirt Die named because it squirts out the excess), they come out looking like little jewels. I made 6mm Benchrest bullets for years, a labor of love for sure. I came up with 65g Hp bullets that would not shoot a hole through a coyote using Simenson dies.

A good friend made bullets off of 22 RF jackets, holy cow, a lot of work. RF jacket bullets can not be shot very fast and they will blow up in fast twist barrels if spun too fast.

No doubt that making bullets is a hobby within a hobby, and the bullet making process can surely suck up your life, a great hobby that my wife really hated. I had bullet jackets all over the living room floor, kitchen countertops as they were lubed ready for the next step. I sat up my bullet making press on the bar in the kitchen, so I could be with the wife watching TV with her.