Magpro temperature test

upacreek

I was playing with 4000-MR and happy with the initial tests. So I did a temp test and was less than happy. Almost 120fps in 100 degrees of temp change.
I decided to do the same test on magpro and retumbo. 3 bullets loaded near max, but proven good mode with no pressure signs. .010" jump, but both are compressed loads. I wasnt completely unhappy with the magpro at 71gr with 175 eldx. I am using new winchester brass on a 7wsm that came primed with an unknown primer. I bought almost 200 rds from a member here when I built the gun. He had primed the cases, so I am eager to size and load my own to see what I can get for consistency. Powder was measured on a beam scale once. Normally I weigh twice (because I'm anal like that).
I do load development at 400 yrds cause I can do it 100feet from my back door.

3 rds frozen to 0deg in my freezer for 2 days.
Magpro
3091 fps
3086 fps
3085 fps

3 rds left under my wood stove for 2 days. Measured 112deg

3121 fps
3123 fps
3140 fps

The strange part that surprised me is the very clear ejector mark on the cold rds and not the hot rds. The retumbo was exactly the same. Also the groups tightened up 15-20% with the hot rds. I am bummed each 3 shot group had one flier and one with an odd velocity.

Does anyone have a good reason to avoid magpro? Retumbo was slightly slower and very close in temp sensitivity. Any input would be appreciated!

The cold contracted the metal enough to be looser in chamber slamming back against bolt face? Just a guess.

Just wanted to make an update.

Did some load development last Jan/Feb and was very happy with 1/2 moa results out to 900 yrds. Loaded up 100 and forgot about the gun. Took it out Thursday and set up some milk jugs at 400, 500, and 600. First shot at 400 center punch. Second at 500 missed. 3 more misses. Took a larger target to 500 Saturday to see whats happening and first shot had a stiff bolt. Second stiffer yet. 3rd broke my extracter and the brass almost didn't come out of the chamber. Heavy primer crater and ejector mark. Only 2 bullets hit the target. Gonna pull 10 bullets apart and check powder weight.
Its got me spooked. Feel like pulling them all and starting over, grrrr.

You sir TRULY have my sympathy. I know how you feel.
Had developed an NO BS honest 1.0 MOA load for my 338wm out to 500 yards (pretty durn good for me) and save for a trigger job this was a 100% factory M700
Ran out of my stock of a specific lot# of RL19 (5lbs) and the new batch gave me totally unacceptable accuracy at first and took me considerable tinkering to get it back to acceptable.

Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.