Magnum primers - what effect on standard rounds?

I remember a rodent shoot using a .17 Rem & taking a shot at a gopher - click & no bang. The round had an undented primer and the gopher was spared. Upon removing the pin from the bolt I discovered the firing pin hole was blocked by CCI 400 primer cup fragments. I was lucky to find a paper clip in my gear bag & that probed the CCI 400 primer stuff out of my bolt. Since then, I only use primers having cup thicknesses greater than .020 and have pipe cleaners in my gear bag. Some small rifle primer rounds like the 6.5X47 Lapua generate pressures in excess of 62,000 psi & tough primers are needed. The .17 Rem has a need for speed. I have replaced it with a .20P, also having a need for speed. Serious rodent shooting has a need for speed.

Last edited:
I was able to purchase some CCI 450 SR magnum primers since my preferred SR benchrest primers aren't available. My question is, for 223 Rem or 224 Valkyrie, what effect will magnum primers likely have? I'm not concerned about high precision for the 223 Rem, those are more for taking buddies or new shooters to the range, but I'm very interested in the effect the magnum primers would have on the 224V rounds. I'm using Varget and 69 - 77 SMK HPBT bullets for 223 Rem, and VV N140 w/ SMK 90 gr HPBT for the 224V. In case this has any connection to primers, the 224V has a 30" Bartlein barrel with 5R progressive twist to 6.5. thx
All you want to know on primers and how they rate them

All you want to know on primers and how they rate them

That link to the primer discussion contains a lot of great information, thanks.

I read those articles, but seeing as they don't go into how brisance effects the burn of the powder directly, I will elaborate.
I have a Pressure Trace II system which takes raw data from a piezo crystal glued to the barrel about midway in the chamber in most rifles, some differ as there is no room to get it near the middle for various reasons.
CIP and SAAMI take their readings from very different points on the case and in the burn of the powder.
Now, brisance in regard to HOW a powder burns, does 2 things essentially. Firstly, the primer flash intensity, pressurises the powder column and forces the entire powder column up towards the bullet base.
This also pressurises the entire case, without pressure, nitrocellulose is difficult to ignite, hence why primers are so powerful.
The second thing it does is influences the start pressure of the burn. A smooth gentle curve is often the one that gives the best accuracy. A harsh one will not be consistent and one that is too low will not ignite the powder enough and will be more erratic than one that is too harsh.
Over the Pressure Trace it is pretty obvious which primer and powder combo are going to match up early on in the testing…
In both my 22-250AI and 6.5x47 Lapua using SRP brass, the smaller flash hole as well, has a curve under MAP that is totally different to cases using LRP brass.
It also changes the velocity with the same loads if tested side by side. I can't test LRP brass for the 6.5x47 cuz I don't have any, but in the 22-250, I have both SRP & LRP brass.
According to my tests, switching from a standard primer to a magnum primer, or even brands, can raise pressure by 6,000psi to over 10,000psi at MAP.
Regarding start pressure, it can change by 4-5,000psi just based on brand alone, and switching from standard to magnum is about the same as going from a cold primer to a hot primer.
Winchester primers across the board, both SRP & LRP, whether standard or magnum are considerably hotter and raise start pressure very well on a mediocre load using other powders.
My 25-06's all but one love WLRM primers, the other, my Sendero loves 210's Match primers.
Oh, and testing Match primers to other primers, I could not see a difference with any of them except with BR4's, they were gentler than CCI 400's.
I have no conclusions regarding primer cup thickness, just that some pierce easier than others and the only pierced primer I ever had was with7 or 7 1/2 (I think) in a 17 Rem about 25 years ago, I didn't realise when I bought them there was a difference. Every single one pierced and etched my firing pin hole.

As long as you work up when switching to a magnum primer or even switching brands and testing, nothing bad can happen really.

Cheers.

Very well could have been. Pretty sure it was a Remington primer.
Had all the indented pieces end up inside the firing pin hole as well.

Cheers.
I tried 6.5 years ago on the first primer scare in a 222 rem mag 3- 4 pierced primers outa 10, 7.5 fixed the issue and thats all I've ever used for years, 450's in a couple bigger 20 cals like them better.

I use magnum primers in all of my hand loads both rifle and pistol. I however cannot compare to using standard primers since I don't use standard primers and all of my loads are worked up with magnum primers, both Federal and Winchester. I haven't used CCI in years so can't comment on them. I have not noticed any major difference when working loads close to maximum, no signs of any pressure problems. A note to all...if changing from standard to magnum primers (which seem to be more readily available these days) always back off a grain or two and work yourself back up checking for pressure issues. Better safe than sorry.