M70 Winchester a ***!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Kinda like Leupold is an over priced Bushnell,Snap On is an over priced Craftsman and Fosters is over priced Budwieser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a factory post 64 xtr sporter with a 24" barrel that will put 3 shots under a dime and when cooled will repeat. No special attention to action, however I adjusted the trigger, full length bedded it in a Brown Precision glass stock and worked up a load consisting of 56.5 gr of H4831, Rem 9.5 mag primer, 150 gr Nosler balistic tips and a little case prep. I may have got lucky from the sounds of it. I am in the market for a new SS classic model 70 but this forum has me running scared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'll buy your Winchester and Remington actions. If they are this bad out of the box they shouldn't be worth more than a hundred dollars each. I have several accurate factory rifles in both Winchester and Remington.

i have a 25-06 that is a classic sporter. My smallest 100 yard group I have ever fired in my life was measured .040" 3 shots center to center. This was with the 117g SBT bullet and 53g H-4831. To prove this was not a fluke, because it looks like 1 oblong hole, I loaded it up once again. It shot .250" with the 3rd opening up the group a little more. To further prove it was a good load, I did a 5 shot group and 4 went into .2" while the 5th opened it up to .5" All I did was adjust the trigger. Nothing more. Also shoots 2 other bullets, the 110g AB, and the 100g SMK, under .5 at 100 yards. I dont know if I got lucky or what, but I have no problems whatsoever with my factory barreled Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.