m16 extractor???

Need a bit more information. Is it not extracting, are you using reloads or factory ammo?

Let me give you an ideal. If using factory, then check to see if there is carbon build up under the extractor. It its clean it may be a week spring. Brownells sells heavy extractor spring kits that are really good.

Now if you are using reloads, we may have another problem. Autos stretch the case from shoulder to base more so then bolt guns. Do to the bolt starting to pull the case out while there is still pressure built up in the case.

What often happens, cases dont get resized to factory specs. Midway sells the Wilson Case length gage that measures the case from the shoulder to base or the head space. What you do, is just slide the case in the gage and if its not flush with the base of the gage, then its not propertly sized. This causes failure to extract. Failure to feed, and in extreme cases slamfires. (rear in ARs but happens more often in M1 and M1As.

But without more information its hard to tell in your case.

Some people seem to think that the Rem extractor is no good and opt to have either a Sako type or, M16 type extractor fitted to their bolt. Both conversions require the services of someone who has the proper tooling and machinery as well as the know how to do the job. Both conversions require removimg metal from the boltnose and along the front of the boltbody. Critics of this conversion claim ejection problems, safety concerns and a ton of other real or, imagined shortcomings. I offer both type conversions, in my shop.

On the big bore guns I recommend replacing the rem extractor with a Sako style one. I have seen no problems with strength on any of them so far. It can be a benefit for those who like to use max hand loads as well.

Is there a place to buy the m16 extractor parts, and is the installation roughly the same as the Sako style? My local guy does the Tubbs/Sako style extractor, but I would like to have the m16 style without having to ship my rifle cross country.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.