LRH with grampa's cz557 308

Migz

Hey guys, I've been looking around here gathering some info for a while.(what a great site BTW!)

I'm looking for some input on my setup.

My grandfather left me an almost new CZ 557 ranger rifle in 308, I mounted a vortex viper 3-9x40mm with a bdc reticle and capped resettable turrets.
He always shot Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. and the rifle came with 2 fresh boxes.

I've hunted lots and always been interested in LRH a long time but just now am I getting into it! Actually hit my first 500 yard steel(12"x12") on saturday! I have dialling data now for 100, 200, 300,350,400,450,500 yards.

My intensions with this rifle is coyotes, whitetails, and maybe the odd moose (only get to go every 5 ish years)

I'm fortunate to have a good shooting partner also. I don't want to part with this rifle for sentimental reasons but would look at upgrading it or get different setup and keeping this one as is.

here are my questions...

is this rifle at its max range? it only has a 20"' barrel.
should I upgrade the scope if I intend on reaching out further?
if so what scope would you recommend?
I also reload but unsure what combination to load?
any other tips would be great!
should I get a new setup altogether

thanks again for all the input! I'm new at this and have lots to learn.

Migz

I would get a 700 rem sendero or 700 long range for long range shooting/hunting. the 308 carbine is nice for carrying in the woods. for long range shooting weight helps. I believe a little more more power too since you mention moose would be an advantage too. i like carbines , i like heavy longer guns for long range shooting. also i do not use matchkings for hunting. great for targets. lot of good hunting bullets available.

for coyotes and whitetails in the 308 i would use 168 ballistic silver tips, and varget. for moose in the .308 i would use a 165 partition or barnes type. and varget.

Hello Migz. Its good to see another Canadian around. I'm from British Columbia.

For the time being I would recommend using what you have, and get very proficient at 500 yards/meters. Beyond that the game changes pretty quick and become overwhelming unless you have a substantial budget.
Your scope is fine for the time being, but I would personally upgrade it eventually for two reasons\
1-not all turrets are created equal. If they cant be precise 100/100 they are no good for anything.
2- I personally despise BDC reticules on anything other than short barreled carbines, just not precise enough.

When it comes time to upgrade it really depends on budget. In the Long range game I think that glass is as ... if not more important than the rifle. For long range optics I start at the bushnell 4500 tac line then move to Vortex PST, Burris Tac and then up to nightforce and leupold Mark 4-6-8. Of thos I mostly own Vortex due to the value vs. cost and the amount of features (great reticules and illumination).
My favorite magnifaction range is 2.5-10... but I have a couple of each. Hunting rifles are better suited to less magnification in the event of a critter popping up close and you typically get much better elevation and eye relief for less money in lower power scopes.

For the time being I think that the best thing to do is more ammo, reloading set and a GOOD rangefinder.

Awsome! Thanks angus-5024 the viper I have seems to track OK but it was what was on sale at cabelas lol! I'll keep practicing to 500 and start working on the budget for the a longer range rifle. any recommendations on range finders, I got a bushnell 1000 ARC for xmas from my wife for now.
thanks so much!
migz

I agree with angus on this one.

The .308 is a very capable 500 yard deer cartridge, even with your 20" barrel (mine's 18") and with the matchkings. I do/have/know plenty of guys using them, however they are not my first choice for terminal performance. They have decent external ballistics at the ranges you mentioned, but even then not the best choice. Since you reload you have many-many options and a quick search will bring up weeks worth of reading on the .308 Winchester.
I don't know what to tell you about the moose, I've only seen one in my life. It looked like a brahma bull on stilts. If elk were on the menu: 500 yards, maybe...300 yards with a well constructed bullet, absolutely.
We all know that a .308 can kill anything we want with the right bullet in the right spot but I look at worst case scenario not best. The whole "plan for the worst, but hope for the best". If I had a carbine .308 in my hand I would be thinking I wish I had my .338 RUM (the one that everybody says isn't needed)! If the .308 was all I had then I would find the best load I could with it, one appropriate for the task at hand.
As for your scope, I think you'll be fine if you learn to use it. It sounds like you are on the right track. You will hear lots of people say that 3-9 isn't enough...yes it is. Some will tell you at that range parallax will cause you to miss, all I'll say is you won't have parallax if lined up properly behind the scope. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of magnification. Even though I have a 5.5-22 and a 8-32 Nightforce, my favorite scope is a 2-10. It's about to be mounted on a RUM.
Good luck!

thanks Bravo 4, I picked up some 165 partitions at cabelas on the weekend so i'll start working up a load with those and see what I get. got to the range on saturday in the cold. i'm hoping to find a way to tune my trigger, it is adjustable, i think that will help tighten my groups a bit.

thanks again for all you input the process is turning out to be a lot of fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts