LRH wanna be one day

cec39466

I have for a long time admired you who can shoot to distances that I never imagined possible unless being a military sniper. I joined this forum to see what I could pick up and am amazed with even seeing that far through a scope. I don't own optics that can even see that far. I was in a hunting club that had a pipeline for about 1000 yards and thought how cool would that be to be able to shoot that distance. Well I found a used Savage Model 111 300 win mag (I think it's 111 fxp3 package) that was being sold because the owner had damaged his spine from a bike wreck. He sold everything from 270 and up . After running a box of ammo I saved enough money to send it off to get a Mag-Na-Brake put on it and is did that make a difference. I'm getting some tax money back and well the scope is ok but I would like to start thinking about maybe a 400 to 600 yard scope in the $300 - $400 range. Please keep in mind that most hunting in Ms. is 50 to 250 yards. I gave my son my Rem 7600 30-06 when I got this one so being a newb and this my gun anyone have an ideal on a scope. What about SWFA 6x42? Thanks in advance.

I think a 3x9 scope would be enough magnification for what you are wanting to do, especially since you may need to back off for close shots as you described. I like Leupold personally, but there are getting to be quite a few scopes available that are very good. I would suggest that you go look through several and see what you really like. Any good retailer will allow you to look through several scopes and many can answer any questions you have on the spot. The other thing that you have to think about is whether you want to use a reticle for holdover, or if you want to dial in for drop. Hope that helps some. Happy hunting!

If I was in your shoes, I would watch the classifieds for a used Zeiss Conquest in 3.5x10x50 or a 4.5x14x50. They are good in low light situations and the glass is very clear. I have used 5or 6 with no issues. Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.