LR loading the 300 RUM

Wyatt's has a box that allows 3.825" OAL. They also have a box that allows 3.99" OAL.

Hornady also made the 220 ELD-X specifically for OEM box lengths (the bullet nose is shorter than the 212 ELDX).

This is not making any sense to me!! tell me again how the 225 ELDM bullet allows for a shorter COAL than a 212 ELDX when loaded in a standard mag box to the same length?? when the bullet itself is .063" longer over all and the bearing surface is .023" longer??? so given these measurements the 225 when loaded to touch lands would be longer than the 212 would it not?? And no 3.585 isn't max in a standard box and yes wyatts makes a 3.990" internal mag box!

i called and asked and the guy said it was the design of the 212gr ELD-X. So I don't know call hornady and ask them. But here are pics from Hornadys Reloading Manual.

Attachments

• 20180409_134350.jpg
    20180409_134350.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 306
  • 20180409_134359.jpg
    20180409_134359.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20180409_134410.jpg
    20180409_134410.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 360
The Hornady 220 ELDX is specifically designed for OEM box length mags. It has a shorter nose than the other two bullets, and as such can be loaded shorter for typical oem box lengths.

I think your missing my point! And don't take this wrong way!! Now read this slowly and think about what I'm saying here.
Take a 212 ELD-X load it to mag length or 3.600" COAL it will fit in a factory ultra mag box with a little room to spare.
Now take a 225 ELD-m and do the same thing, same length COAL the base to tip AKA>>>Cartridge Over All Length will be identical 3.600" 212elx is 3.600" 225eldm is 3.600" 230 berger HT is 3.600" 200 accubonds is 3.600" 210vldh etc. They all can be loaded to factory mag box length or 3.600"" on the nose !!!!!.
Will the ogive start in a different spot on each bullet? YES
Will the nose of bullet to ogive start distance short or long dictate how far away from lands each bullet engages at? YES!
I know all about that, but that's not my point!!
My point is, if you have a factory rifle (like the OP does) and do not want to do any mag work or alterations, you do not need to seat any of these bullets clear out to the lands and have a single shot to get them to shoot as others have posted on here with good success it just takes a little more finesse!!
I've shot hundreds of rounds out of a factory 300 rum sendero's with hand loaded 230 berger hybrid targets seated to fit the factory mag box and got them to shoot dam good and i know a lot of others that have done the same thing! For hornady to publish such an over exaggerated COAL of 3.900" when that leaves you single feeding your rounds in an abomination factory chamber or in most case scenarios you have a SAMMI length factory chambered rifle, this leaves you with a headache before you even start because A. they wont even begin to go in the rifle
B. you didn't check the length with modified case length gauge before loading the rounds basically hoping their info is correct! that's just stupid on hornady's part and the hand loaders part by not checking first, then for the same cartridge turn around and tell you a way shorter length with heavy and longer bullets???? ZORACK you even stated that your rifles chamber wouldn't even handle that over exaggerated length.. that's not a red flag to say why do all these others say so short but yet this one is so freaking long and yet wont even go in my rifle???!!!!!! They are providing a load spec to individuals that more than likely have a factory rifle and are expecting it to work and have guys obviously loading them to that length and having them not even come close to working, that just simply blows my mind!

Last edited:
I think your missing my point! And don't take this wrong way!! Now read this slowly and think about what I'm saying here.
Take a 212 ELD-X load it to mag length or 3.600" COAL it will fit in a factory ultra mag box with a little room to spare.
Now take a 225 ELD-m and do the same thing, same length COAL the base to tip AKA>>>Cartridge Over All Length will be identical 3.600" 212elx is 3.600" 225eldm is 3.600" 230 berger HT is 3.600" 200 accubonds is 3.600" 210vldh etc. They all can be loaded to factory mag box length or 3.600"" on the nose !!!!!.
Will the ogive start in a different spot on each bullet? YES
Will the nose of bullet to ogive start distance short or long dictate how far away from lands each bullet engages at? YES!
I know all about that, but that's not my point!!
My point is, if you have a factory rifle (like the OP does) and do not want to do any mag work or alterations, you do not need to seat any of these bullets clear out to the lands and have a single shot to get them to shoot as others have posted on here with good success it just takes a little more finesse!!
I've shot hundreds of rounds out of a factory 300 rum sendero's with hand loaded 230 berger hybrid targets seated to fit the factory mag box and got them to shoot dam good and i know a lot of others that have done the same thing! For hornady to publish such an over exaggerated COAL of 3.900" when that leaves you single feeding your rounds in an abomination factory chamber or in most case scenarios you have a SAMMI length factory chambered rifle, this leaves you with a headache before you even start because A. they wont even begin to go in the rifle
B. you didn't check the length with modified case length gauge before loading the rounds basically hoping their info is correct! that's just stupid on hornady's part and the hand loaders part by not checking first, then for the same cartridge turn around and tell you a way shorter length with heavy and longer bullets???? ZORACK you even stated that your rifles chamber wouldn't even handle that over exaggerated length.. that's not a red flag to say why do all these others say so short but yet this one is so freaking long and yet wont even go in my rifle???!!!!!! They are providing a load spec to individuals that more than likely have a factory rifle and are expecting it to work and have guys obviously loading them to that length and having them not even come close to working, that just simply blows my mind!

Call hornady and ask them why they have to be seated that far out. I did when they first came out. I can't remember exactly what they said but it has to do with the design of the bullet.

I'm new to reloading and have a factory Sendero in 300Rum.
Getting pretty good results with the 230 Berger at near factory mag length 3.64 I think. Anyways, it's probably a little slow but dang it shoots good. All other loads were right at 1moa but 85.5 retumbo really stood out. Going to try and get a good balance of speed and accuracy so I'm also going to try the Eldx's. What are some other people's experiences with Accuracy and speed with ELDX?
230berger.jpg

I'm new to reloading and have a factory Sendero in 300Rum.
Getting pretty good results with the 230 Berger at near factory mag length 3.64 I think. Anyways, it's probably a little slow but dang it shoots good. All other loads were right at 1moa but 85.5 retumbo really stood out. Going to try and get a good balance of speed and accuracy so I'm also going to try the Eldx's. What are some other people's experiences with Accuracy and speed with ELDX?
View attachment 95739
id run that sucker till the wheels fell off!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-10-12-43-14.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-10-12-43-14.png
    77 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.