Looking to reach 1000!!!

Here's a Sinclair offset scope level: SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair Scope Level 1" , black -.

I myself have never shot 1000 yds. (YET, lol). I have shot out to 650 yds. tho (I just don't have a place close to me that will let me reach out to 1000). It's not as difficult as it sounds, if you have decent equipment. I don't have it listed on my site, but my .308 usually groups 5 shots at about 2.5 - 3" @ 600 yds. I'm extremely picky with my reloading (for the ultimate precision, you'll have to handload) and I'm usually not happy with over .5" @ 100 yds.

Here's a review of what I did to my Remington 700 VTR in .308 Win. to get it to shoot how I like (consistently). Enjoy. Remington model 700 VTR

I am looking for advice on upgrades or products to help improve the ability of my rifle.

I have recently decided to get serious about reaching down range and hitting the infamous 1000yd mark. At this point I still consider myself a novice, but have a significant amount of time behind a rifle( mostly hunting and target to 300 yds). I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 that I have chosen to begin this task with. The only thing that has been done to the rifle is a trigger job. Have a Millet 4-16x56 TSR-1 mounted on picatiny rail with Leuapold rings. Has a Harris bi-pod as well. At this time the gun is shooting sub MOA groups, but barely and not consistantly. I am determined to stay with this rig, as I believe that with a few adjustments, the gun will be more capable than me for a while. My first thought is to replace the flimsy stock. I have looked into HS, Mcmillan, and Bell & Carlson. At this time am leaning towards the HS.

Apologize for the long post, but want to try and give as much info for usefull feedback. Any and everyone feel free to give your opinion! I am here to learn!!!
your sps varmint is a fine choice. The most likely reason it isn't shooting consistently is the stock. Your first thought was correct. replace that stock. A Bell and Carlson with the full length bedding block will make a world of difference and not brake the bank. Its not as good as a Mcmillian but its only a third of the cost and you won't have to wait half a year to get one. 1000 yards with a 308 os very doable and a load of fun to. I remember the first time I hit a target from that far away. my head was swollen for a week.

your sps varmint is a fine choice. The most likely reason it isn't shooting consistently is the stock. Your first thought was correct. replace that stock. A Bell and Carlson with the full length bedding block will make a world of difference and not brake the bank. Its not as good as a Mcmillian but its only a third of the cost and you won't have to wait half a year to get one. 1000 yards with a 308 os very doable and a load of fun to. I remember the first time I hit a target from that far away. my head was swollen for a week.

I know this thread is a little old, but I've recently gotten into long range shooting. I bought my first .308 (Savage F/TR), a decent scope ($400 WoTac), tested a bunch of match ammo until I found one the rifle shoots half inch groups with (Hornady Match Palma 155 gr amax). Worked up dope with my best guess at velocity on JBM and then I went shooting at 1000! I joined a practice session at the local range and we started at 200 yards and was able to confirm my dope out to 1000.

Don't go dropping a ton of money on the gun until you know it needs something. If the stock is a known issue address it then go shooting! Nothing is better than time behind the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts