Looking to buy a new 22lr

For a short range varmint gun you'd be hard pressed to beat the Ruger 10/22. It's one of the most accurate and reliable platforms ever designed and there's an endless supply of aftermarket upgrades for it.

For a short range varmint gun you'd be hard pressed to beat the Ruger 10/22. It's one of the most accurate and reliable platforms ever designed and there's an endless supply of aftermarket upgrades for it.
That's awesome. Will go with it

Any thoughts on the CZ 455's? Seems like they have a pretty good following as well and now that my 22 suppressor finally got approved, I need to step up from the crappy old Rem597 that I've had for a few years now and never shoot.
455s are awesome. I have the American and my brother has the Tacticool with threaded barrel. They will shoot 1 hole at 25 yards with the right ammo. I don't know if the OP would be interested in one of these since they start around $350 but they feel like a high quality gun and shoot very well.

Man, I feel kind of bad that I have two "10/22s", but have about $2600 into them. But they both shoot phenomenally. A Tactical Solutions 10/22 w. Kidd trigger and SWFA 3-15×42, and a Ruger rebuilt w.Kidd 20" bull barrel, Kidd trigger, Boyd's Anschutz, and SWFA 3-15×42. Squirrels and rabbits hate them.

I have had great luck with Norma Tac Match 22 ammo, both the match velocity and the subsonic. And it is cheaper than most of the other "match ammo. Both rifles shoot in the .2-.3" 5 shot @ 50 yards. Not an Olympic winner, but plenty for small game.

Last edited:
The OP wanted a long range 22lr you guys have said the 10\22 is the best short range gun. How much does it cost ro turn it into a long range gun. Would it cost more than the 150 dollars extra the CZ would cost him. To me it makes more sense to put that 150 into the CZ and have great gun from the get go.

I cant say enough good about CZ. I love my 452 Varmint and will be buying a lighter 455 for this years squirrel season.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 109
Not sure where the OP is located, but not sure if it is legal or ethical to shoot a turkey at 150+ yards with a 22lr. That is a long way for a 22lr on any game, especially given the budget of $200. Being realistic, the budget will likely need to increase significantly or the expectations may need to be reduced.
A 22 magnum rimfire would be a better choice vs a 22lr if 150+ yard shots will be common, and that's still a pretty long shot, under field conditions for a 22 mag.

CZ 452, I have 5 of them in different configurations. Masterpiece Arms even makes a stock for them (455) if you are into PRS stuff. CZ also makes a semi-auto the 512 in .22 WMR and LR. I have Anschutz match rifles from my days of smallbore competition, but when I hunt small game I reach for the CZ's.
Other high end rimfires you might research are Cooper, and NULA. Check out Rimfire Central. Lots of experts and opinions. Remington makes the 547, but I have no experience with it. Ruger too, but did I mention I love my Cz's.

Saw your budget. So I guess the Ruger or Savage is within your budget. Marlin made some nice rimfires, but I haven't kept up with them so I'm not sure about their quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts