Looking for some help on a new hunting rifle. Bergara/Waypoint/Tikka

I shoot a Tikka primarily. I vote Tikka. Otherwise I would use a tried 700 action or custom 700 style. A few have told me that they are disappointed in their Bergara, but some on here like them. I don't know anything about the other one you are looking at.

If I were looking at a new rifle, and I'm not, my first choice under $2000 would likely be the waypoint. They seem to be a nice rifle with a lot of features for the price.

Second vote for the Premier series - I cannot speak to the Wilderness action being rough, but my Premier Highlander .300WM action is as smooth as they come.

Seems to shoot everything I put through it pretty well. Can't wait until I can get a reload worked out because I have no doubt it will shoot .5 moa or better.

I have not considered putting a Manners stock in my Highlander, but it might not be a bad idea honestly, I just am not sure how much of a weight saving that would be.
I have been shooting the hornady match ammo and every group from 100-1000 yards has been 1/4-1/2 moa. Its insane. It didn't like the precision hunter quite as well - it shot that 3/4 moa. The action is so smooth I am always checking to make sure it picked up a round. Lol

I have been shooting the hornady match ammo and every group from 100-1000 yards has been 1/4-1/2 moa. Its insane. It didn't like the precision hunter quite as well - it shot that 3/4 moa. The action is so smooth I am always checking to make sure it picked up a round. Lol
I reload for mine, but they say Bergara's shoot that Hornady Match ammo the best.

Agreed on the action - I would love to compare it side by side with a defiance or some other custom action to see if there is any noticeable difference. I would be shocked if there was

Second vote for the Premier series - I cannot speak to the Wilderness action being rough, but my Premier Highlander .300WM action is as smooth as they come.

Seems to shoot everything I put through it pretty well. Can't wait until I can get a reload worked out because I have no doubt it will shoot .5 moa or better.

I have not considered putting a Manners stock in my Highlander, but it might not be a bad idea honestly, I just am not sure how much of a weight saving that would be.

I looked into the premier series as well and read really good things about them. If I were to go with one of those it would be the Aprroach. It ticks a lot of the boxes that I'm looking for at the same price as the Waypoint. Down sides for me are no detachable mag and it comes in at 1-1/4 pounds heavier than the Waypoint.

If I were looking at a new rifle, and I'm not, my first choice under $2000 would likely be the waypoint. They seem to be a nice rifle with a lot of features for the price.

I feel like that would probably the smartest direction to go but I've never claimed to be very smart so it looks like I'm going to spend a lot of time and effort researching my options before I probably end up there. Lol. The Waypoint ticks every single box I had going into looking for a hunting rifle, but as I said in my first post, my hesitancy is that it's a new action that doesn't really have a track record. So it appears that I'm basically trying to build the same rifle around a barreled action that has a little more history or reliability and accuracy. Although I've yet to find really any bad review on the Waypoint even from a few people on the forums that probably weren't getting paid by Springfield to review them like the big gun publications. Truth of it probably is that it's a factory action just like the Tikka and the Bergara and you're always going to be able to find bad examples of them and people that have had bad experiences with them or just didn't like them.

Tikka guys, do the T3x lite and CTR have different barrel profiles? It appears to me that they do. If so is the barrel on the lite big enough to get threaded 5/8-24 for a suppressor? If I were to go with a Tikka build I'd want to reuse the barrel for the time being and if the lite didn't have enough meat for barrel threading then I'd have to go with the CTR.

Anyone on here own a Waypoint and can speak to it directly?

Appreciate all of you guys help!

Tikka guys, do the T3x lite and CTR have different barrel profiles? It appears to me that they do. If so is the barrel on the lite big enough to get threaded 5/8-24 for a suppressor? If I were to go with a Tikka build I'd want to reuse the barrel for the time being and if the lite didn't have enough meat for barrel threading then I'd have to go with the CTR.

Yes, different barrel profiles.

You have to cut down the barrel on the lite to mount a suppressor.

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a new rifle and wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from you guys. Have basically always hunted with an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC and this will be my first bolt gun. I've already done a ton of research but I'm stuck between a couple different options. I've settled on a .308 and I'd also like a 20" barrel since I'll be shooting suppressed. Not looking to spend more than 2K but less than that is better. Hunting distances on our property is from close up in the woods out to 300 yards max.

I initially had my eye on a Tikka CTR but hated the stock. Started looking at the Bergara's after that which was right when the Wilderness line was coming out and really liked the Terrain. It checked all the boxes for me on paper, went to a local gun shop that had one in 6.5CM and after putting my hands on it, I settled on the .308 version of that rifle. Just needed to save some money. Fast forward about a year and last week I went to the same local gun shop and got seriously derailed. Lol.

They had a 2020 Waypoint in 6.5CM and after handling that gun I'm seriously considering that instead. It's more expensive than the Bergara but it's SO much lighter and I just love the way it handles and I really like the vertical grip I think because I've always shot AR's. Still checks all the boxes I want and more and the .308 version with the steel barrel seems right up my ally and almost 2# lighter than the Bergara! The only thing that's making me shy away a little is it's a new action and I'm not sure about its accuracy and long term performance and all that. Everything I can find online (mostly from gun reviewers unfortunately) seems to point towards a great gun but I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the Waypoint vs the Bergara but just in general as well. Is the Waypoint a Rem700 clone action just like the Bergara? Do y'all foresee and issues getting things like replacement or upgraded barrels for that action? If it's a Rem700 clone I'd assume not but I can't find that info anywhere. Is BSF doing their steel barrel too or just the carbon one?

This also sent me down the rabbit hole of maybe picking up a Bergara and putting it in an AG stock or a Manners EH1. That way I could have a proven reliable and accurate action & barrel in a carbon stock that would net about the same weight as the Waypoint. After thinking about that for a while I also considered maybe just picking up a Tikka (looks like you can get a T3x lite compact for around $700) threading the barrel and putting it in an EH1 with the Tikka mini chassis. That would probably get me close to the same territory as well.

So that's how I got where I'm at and I'm not really sure what route I should go now. Any input for you guys is greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to the bolt action game so let me know what you think!
From everything you described this is the rifle you want. 20" threaded barrel. As for the action/barrel, I now own 3 of them. Beats the everlovin stuffin out of Tikka T3. Sold my T3 to buy another Sauer. I am so not sorry!

I looked into the premier series as well and read really good things about them. If I were to go with one of those it would be the Aprroach. It ticks a lot of the boxes that I'm looking for at the same price as the Waypoint. Down sides for me are no detachable mag and it comes in at 1-1/4 pounds heavier than the Waypoint.

I feel like that would probably the smartest direction to go but I've never claimed to be very smart so it looks like I'm going to spend a lot of time and effort researching my options before I probably end up there. Lol. The Waypoint ticks every single box I had going into looking for a hunting rifle, but as I said in my first post, my hesitancy is that it's a new action that doesn't really have a track record. So it appears that I'm basically trying to build the same rifle around a barreled action that has a little more history or reliability and accuracy. Although I've yet to find really any bad review on the Waypoint even from a few people on the forums that probably weren't getting paid by Springfield to review them like the big gun publications. Truth of it probably is that it's a factory action just like the Tikka and the Bergara and you're always going to be able to find bad examples of them and people that have had bad experiences with them or just didn't like them.

Anyone on here own a Waypoint and can speak to it directly?

Appreciate all of you guys help!
The Approach is what I have and it does come with a detachable mag. Also, last I checked, the Premier guys will rebarrel your rifle for $500.

If weight is a driving factor, Christensen has to be on your list. I have two christensen's and they both are crazy good shooters. This is my newest one - its their MPP in 308. It has a 12.5" barrel and I am getting 2400 fps out if it. Arm guard/stock folds up and I can fit it inside my pack. Its shooting 1/2-3/4 moa out to 500 yards with 155 TMKs. Something to consider 🤷🏻‍♂️
FE711D3B-CFEC-4CE0-879D-6EC5DAF27A69.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are looking for lightweight, fantastic trigger and action and out of the box accuracy it's almost impossible to get anything other than a Tikka. I have 3 of them in different calibers and each and every one of them put 3 rounds in 0.75 MOA or less at 100 yards using either Sig Sauer or Federal Premium ammo out of the box. Start with a known shooter and do your stock mods and all of your other personal options and you will have the best of both worlds, a remarkably accurate rifle that you have customized to your own liking. Check out this U Tube Video about Tikka's

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a new rifle and wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from you guys. Have basically always hunted with an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC and this will be my first bolt gun. I've already done a ton of research but I'm stuck between a couple different options. I've settled on a .308 and I'd also like a 20" barrel since I'll be shooting suppressed. Not looking to spend more than 2K but less than that is better. Hunting distances on our property is from close up in the woods out to 300 yards max.

I initially had my eye on a Tikka CTR but hated the stock. Started looking at the Bergara's after that which was right when the Wilderness line was coming out and really liked the Terrain. It checked all the boxes for me on paper, went to a local gun shop that had one in 6.5CM and after putting my hands on it, I settled on the .308 version of that rifle. Just needed to save some money. Fast forward about a year and last week I went to the same local gun shop and got seriously derailed. Lol.

They had a 2020 Waypoint in 6.5CM and after handling that gun I'm seriously considering that instead. It's more expensive than the Bergara but it's SO much lighter and I just love the way it handles and I really like the vertical grip I think because I've always shot AR's. Still checks all the boxes I want and more and the .308 version with the steel barrel seems right up my ally and almost 2# lighter than the Bergara! The only thing that's making me shy away a little is it's a new action and I'm not sure about its accuracy and long term performance and all that. Everything I can find online (mostly from gun reviewers unfortunately) seems to point towards a great gun but I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the Waypoint vs the Bergara but just in general as well. Is the Waypoint a Rem700 clone action just like the Bergara? Do y'all foresee and issues getting things like replacement or upgraded barrels for that action? If it's a Rem700 clone I'd assume not but I can't find that info anywhere. Is BSF doing their steel barrel too or just the carbon one?

This also sent me down the rabbit hole of maybe picking up a Bergara and putting it in an AG stock or a Manners EH1. That way I could have a proven reliable and accurate action & barrel in a carbon stock that would net about the same weight as the Waypoint. After thinking about that for a while I also considered maybe just picking up a Tikka (looks like you can get a T3x lite compact for around $700) threading the barrel and putting it in an EH1 with the Tikka mini chassis. That would probably get me close to the same territory as well.

So that's how I got where I'm at and I'm not really sure what route I should go now. Any input for you guys is greatly appreciated. I'm fairly new to the bolt action game so let me know what you think!

The Approach is what I have and it does come with a detachable mag. Also, last I checked, the Premier guys will rebarrel your rifle for $500.

If weight is a driving factor, Christensen has to be on your list. I have two christensen's and they both are crazy good shooters. This is my newest one - its their MPP in 308. It has a 12.5" barrel and I am getting 2400 fps out if it. Arm guard/stock folds up and I can fit it inside my pack. Its shooting 1/2-3/4 moa out to 500 yards with 155 TMKs. Something to consider 🤷🏻‍♂️View attachment 327229

The older Approach's came with the detachable mags. The new models have a hinged floor plate. They do however have a few of the older model Approach's on gun broker in .308. Might have to look into that a bit more.

That Christensen looks pretty sweet! Talk about a handy rifle with that barrel on it!

I'm still a little up in the air on this. Started pricing up some semi-custom Tikka's, doing a Bergara with a lighter stock, even started looking at maybe just saying **** the budget and doing a custom build. The Bighorn Origin action is pretty affordable, and I've read some good things on it.

In your shoes, I would strongly consider THIS….That is a top shelf hunting rifle.

From a build perspective, $2000 is pretty unreasonable for a complete build w/o optic.

Something like THIS may get you what you want if you replace the trigger, but may require rebarreling/truing to be sub 0.75 moa.

Builds under $2000 are often Tikka, Remage or Savage based builds.

The older Approach's came with the detachable mags. The new models have a hinged floor plate. They do however have a few of the older model Approach's on gun broker in .308. Might have to look into that a bit more.

That Christensen looks pretty sweet! Talk about a handy rifle with that barrel on it!

I'm still a little up in the air on this. Started pricing up some semi-custom Tikka's, doing a Bergara with a lighter stock, even started looking at maybe just saying **** the budget and doing a custom build. The Bighorn Origin action is pretty affordable, and I've read some good things on it.
You are right about the approach - thats dumb that they changed it to a hinged floor plate. My other christensen is the BA Tactical - its a sweet stick. Mine is a 6.5 PRC, its a .25moa gun with Factory Hornady match ammo all day every day.

I understand the focus of many responders here. But another rifle to think about. Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in .308. Out of the box mine easily is a half MOA rifle with match factory ammo and my match handloads are in the same class. I almost always change out triggers on rifles but the HC Speed has a very good trigger. Lightweight, accurate with cerakote. It does have a 22" barrel (which is threaded). And if that's a must, you can have a gunsmith shorten it up and thread for your can. Also, the real world price can be found around $1k, which leaves you lots of room for great glass. I've owned a lot of .308s and this one is a keeper.