Looking for good late season mitten choices

Savagekid

I'm looking for a pair of good mitts for late season hunts. We're talking REAL late season mittens. I look at reviews on Cabela's and see comments like, "I hunted all day in the bitter cold and 30 degrees didn't even get my hands cold!" I hunt in ND and MN... 30 degrees is light jacket and no glove weather! I'm looking for something that will keep my hands warm on the -10 degree full moon hunts. Preferably something in white/snow camo. Must have something that allows me to expose my trigger finger for shooting and call use...

I can't really suggest a specific mitten but Something that's worked for me really well is a pair of thin gloves under a large pair of fleece lined mittens. As a kid I can remember my hands getting cold all the time with just the mittens that allow you to expose your fingers. I haven't had a problem pairing the thin gloves I can still shoot with and a mitten. In fact my hands usually get so hot on the walk that I end up having to open the mitt to expose my fingers in the thin glove so my hands don't sweat. Grant it I'm only getting into the -10 degree range.

I bet though if you can find a really nice pair of thin gloves with windblocker in them (like at a place that sells Nordic skis) you could find yourself a regular mitten from cabelas and combine the two.

I've never needed to use them but I carry a pair of those chemical pocket heaters with me just in case I ever need to drop them in the finger pocket of the mittens.

I had to laugh at the header for your post, being a Michigander, we refer to Michigan as a Mitt to point at for a certain location in the State, So my first thought was tat you were looking for places in Michigan to hunt.

Stay a warm, and good luck

Calling The Wild gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.