Having a good start to yote season...

dbs1

Caught a day a few weeks ago right after a few days of a cold slushy storm when it cleared out with temps in the high 20's.
Five mins into hand calling one comes on a run out of the cedars at 400 yards and really never slowed. Lots of time to get the scope on him and follow him in. Kept having to change the custom turret and focus slightly as he had the location dead zeroed, but never slowed. Caught him at 30 yards with the .204. After some flopping the dog gave up the ghost.
Moved a 1/2 mile and it basically repeated itself, this time with the 270wsm. No flopping there.

A few days later with the AR, one snuck in on me on the first stand of the morning and just barely showed his head above the sage. Hit a branch and he lived to tell the tale. (HATE THAT!)

Had discectemy surgery and after 2 weeks the doc suggested I get out and do some walking/ excercize, so I grabbed a 9mm (I waffled between it and the 22 semi pistol as I don't shoot a centerfire pistol well). I was trying to be a good boy and keep the recoil off a shoulder. I only have to walk a half mile from the house to call and Actually shot at a jackrabbit 3 times on the way to the stand at 25 yards and not drawing any blood I knew I'd need one in my lap. Had one trot in from 200 yards out and give me a broadside at 50 yards. I went to a sqeak only to have him go around the big cedar to my side and creep within 15 yards while I watched him and had no shot through the branches.

Went out 2 days later with the AR and had a dbl respond and whacked one. The following week my bud and I went out after Thanksgiving and though not getting one to the call the first day, the second day at 10:30am got one in at 100 yards and we both pulled the trigger within a split second of each other.

I'm liking the way this is starting! Hopefully when this neck brace comes off in 2 weeks I can mount the bolt rifles and get to the flats for some long range stuff. Fun so far!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.