Good 25-06 yote hand load

guthy

I'v got 200 75gr. Sierra hollow points and need a good recipe to go kill some dogs. Haven't loaded anything that light for 25-06 before. I'll be shooting them out of a Tikka M695 not sure on barrel length. I shot a lot of winchester super-x with the possitive expantion bulletsat deer and I could shoot a 5" group at 400 yards, so it is an accurate gun. Thank you in advance.

guthy,
Welcome to LRH forums! :)

One of the suggestions on Hodgdon's manual is:
75gr. V-Max, IMR-4895 (45gr. @ 3474 fps Starting Load) & (48.5gr. @ 3642 fps Max Load).
As a suggestion, I'd load a 45gr., 46gr. and 47gr. loads (5 cartridges of each) and the load that shot the best group at 100 yards...from a bench rest, is the one that I'd reload for a hunting load.

Here's a link to the Hodgdon website:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

After I use up this box of Nosler BT 87gr. bullets, I intend to switch to the Hornady V-Max 75gr. bullet. My experiences with Hornady bullets have been great accuracy. However, I couldn't find the 75gr. V-Max when I started reloading for my quarter bore. :rolleyes:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I shoot the 75gr V-Max as well with explosive results on whistle pigs. I've had good results from IMR-4064 (47 gr), IMR-4350 (55.2 gr), & H4831SC (60 gr). All 3 loads group just under .5" and chonyed about 3500 FPS from my 24" A-Bolt with a 10 twist barrel.

The 75gr v-max most often does not come out of a shoulder shot coyote. 100smk is my go to bullet, but it blows the heck out of coyotes, so I do not use it from November thru Janurary, it is a deadly type of pencil holer on fox. 115 Berger is great on wolves, and has made two deadly pencil holes on coyotes. All of these bullets shoot .5 moa. from a 700 sps.

guthy,
Welcome to LRH. I get superb accuracy from the 75gn Sierra HP's in my .25-06. I use IMR4064 with CCI BR2's. When I did load development with this bullet (2003) I loaded from 47.5 - 51.0gn in 1/2 gn increments. My velocity ran from 3322 - 3611 fps. I settled on 49.5gn @ 3543 fps. This was the most accurate in my Sendero SF and produced one-hole groups, literally. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the info between here and another website there is a lot of suggestion for the IMR 4064. It sounds like a hell of a combination. Thanks again for the help.

Been playing with a new gun and I have some 85grain Ballistic tips moving @3498 can't remember the load at the moment. and my finial choice is the berger 115 hunting VLD's moving around 3050fps with reloader 19. I figure it should be good for yotes out to around 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.