Looking for advice on these optics with people that has them or have shot with them.

So my preference is dialing with consistency able to return to zero, then glass, and then something at least 14X, preferability variable and second focal plane. Second focal plane is generally cheaper. Just for example but not a cheap scope is my 4.5X14X44 Zeiss. The erecter system is flawless and has well over 5000 shots on the scope. .It does not have a zero stop but I have a good turret which was a retro fit from Zeiss.

I've got to side with @BrentM on this one. Avoid the Diamondback Tac, they go down way too often.

I've briefly played with the Burris Fullfield IV, but not enough to say go get it. I did like it however.

The best advice I've seen here was the reference to the Burris Veracity. It's about as "entry level" as I'd go.

Honestly, in your predicament, this would be the best time to start browsing the classifieds for a used but not abused scope that would otherwise be outside your budget. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a quality scope that's seen a little love.

t

The only cheap scope I have which is working and holding its adjustments is a Redfield when Leopold had owned them for a brief time. I figure some day it will die on me but its been working for dialing up and down. I was hoping that there was something else out there in the 300 range that might work. I looked at the Athlon line but the Ares are now all like 600 plus. If I'm going that much I may just get another Vortex HSLR. The Burris Veracity is almost 800.00 on 3 to 4 different places. The only other cheap option out there is the Arkin. Its ok but very heavy and I don't like the fact I have to adjust the focus eye piece so much. Maybe this is just a thing with the large magnification but my vortex was a one and done for the entire range and I only adjust the parallax now but it has a max of 16X.

I've got to side with @BrentM on this one. Avoid the Diamondback Tac, they go down way too often.

I've briefly played with the Burris Fullfield IV, but not enough to say go get it. I did like it however.

The best advice I've seen here was the reference to the Burris Veracity. It's about as "entry level" as I'd go.

Honestly, in your predicament, this would be the best time to start browsing the classifieds for a used but not abused scope that would otherwise be outside your budget. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a quality scope that's seen a little love.

t
THIS!!!
Raising a family and putting a daughter and wife thru college doesn't leave a lot of extra income. That is why I keep an eye on the classifieds. I would say at least half of my scopes were used. This allowed me to purchase above my budget. They've all been great and even if they weren't, I can always send it in for warranty work (haven't needed to yet).

I was just looking at the classified adds. Camera land is having a sale on the athlon argos I think that's is the one for 365.00 and then there is another Zeiss like the ones I already have but priced a little high. I also seen several more but need about 100 more so will probably weight a little longer. I have one gun setting without a scope that I was playing musical chairs on. It can set for now since I'll be using another this season. I just like doing most of my load development during the fall after hunting season as long as nothing else is going on. I'll shoot a lot in the spring as long at temps are in the 60 to 70 degree range but after that I taper off once temps hit the 80s. I still every once in a while shoot through the summer but usually at the crack of dawn when it's still in the 70s. Except for this year I developed a 308 load over the summer. I got up several mornings at 4 or 5 to be in the desert at first light or when I could see my targets. Temps were from 66 to about 74 in the morning. By eight I usually cut off. In one our I seen temps pick up over 10 degrees. Also the wind gets bad as well.

For that budget I would be looking at Tract and Arken, with the Tract you will likely be in a 1" tube and Arken you can get all of the features of the Vortex plus really good glass for the $$ and dead solid tracking. Tract has a Mil/Vet/1st responder discount also if you can use it. I like the Arken and Tract WAY better than my Vortex, to be fair I am comparing the Arken SH II and Tract Toric ELR to my Razor gen 1. Huge price differences between these three with retail on the Razor the highest and the Arken the lowest but I would take the Arken over the Razor. I have seen and used the Diamondback and PST gen 1 and 2, I'd take the Arken every time, I would take the Burris every time also.
2nd that! Arken EP5 for me!