Looking for a new hunting bullet... Which one!??!

Couldn't resist this post. Its bullet placement. The 178 ELD-X, 180 AB, 195 ELD-M, 185 CH all work great out to 600-700 yards that I have seen.
Bullet..any bullet through the heart...dead elk..all run same distance..very short. Bullet...any bullet through both lungs....dead Elk. But...the more damage the bullet does to both lungs, the less distance it will run...but dead either way....

I've got a brother who uses 168 amax in his 300 wsm on red deer. Shoots them from 5-500 yards and is very happy. 3000 fps. 21 inch barrel suppressed. Maybe try that bullet or a ballistic tip would be a good bet. Good luck.

So I have a 300 WSM I love but last few animals I have shot I am not seeing the results I want on animals and I actually lost a buck in Colorado this weekend. So I am looking to try and switch things up. Currently shooting the 190 ABLR. Recently scored some 200 grain ELDX before this all happened just to try them out. I just hear good and bad about every kind of bullet so looking for some insight. A buddy of mine says for smaller game like deer or antelope I need a softer bullet or possibly the speed of the gun and bullets are too much. I forgot to add... Seams like the closer the shot the less I see great results but the further shots seam to do better. 200 yards and in are not great but 300 out seam much better and my AR10 stones most things so I am trying to figure out how to solve the situation. Thoughts??
have about 200 kills to date with my 300 wsm, 168 gr ttsx barnes. have never! had the bullet fail. that includes 5 eland, 3 blue wildabeast, 10 kudu, truckloads of deer, a dozen blackbear, many, many other plaines game.

My personal opinion is there is way to much emphasis put on bullets retaining weight and penetrating deeper. Personally I'm more into shock and knocking them off their feet. I loved the old Remington bronze points, and the old soft tipped bullets that are scorned now.

My personal opinion is there is way to much emphasis put on bullets retaining weight and penetrating deeper. Personally I'm more into shock and knocking them off their feet. I loved the old Remington bronze points, and the old soft tipped bullets that are scorned now.
I'm the opposite, I want 2 holes. I want as much blood leaking if they run. No bullet from any gun is going to "knock them off their feet".

I still love Partition bullets but they are lacking for long range work. If they would make a more streamlined, tipped version they would be the perfect hunting bullet IMO.

So I have a 300 WSM I love but last few animals I have shot I am not seeing the results I want on animals and I actually lost a buck in Colorado this weekend. So I am looking to try and switch things up. Currently shooting the 190 ABLR. Recently scored some 200 grain ELDX before this all happened just to try them out. I just hear good and bad about every kind of bullet so looking for some insight. A buddy of mine says for smaller game like deer or antelope I need a softer bullet or possibly the speed of the gun and bullets are too much. I forgot to add... Seams like the closer the shot the less I see great results but the further shots seam to do better. 200 yards and in are not great but 300 out seam much better and my AR10 stones most things so I am trying to figure out how to solve the situation. Thoughts??
Sometimes old might be better. I would suggest a good old Nosler partition or, (my favorite) a Swift A-frame. I have taken game from Steenbok to Eland, and Red Stag to 300 # mule deer to 500# Nilgai to Kudu, at ranges from 100 yards to just under 475 yards with great performance, perfect expansion, (most bullets recovered in opposite shoulder, just under the hide), and one shot kills. Never have had an issue or problem with gun or bullet—my performance sometimes is a different story. A lot of guys seek the Holy Grail of gun, and bullet performance. It sells a lot of guns, reloading gear, and brings about lots of frustration and gnashing of teeth. In the old days someone would have told you to buy 10 different types of factory loads/bullets and use your experience to find the combo your gun and you both like. THEN work on playing with powder grains, seating, primers, etc. Like shooting, going back to basics will never fail you.

As I was reading this I was wondering why nobody brought the Swift Scirocco up. I've been away from big game hunting for many, many years and remember the Swift Scirocco and A Frames being very popular. Is their lack of favor today only due to their lack of high BC? If so, then if a hunter is limiting himself to 500 yards are they still a good choice? I appreciate feedback on this.
The BC on these is just fine for 700-800 yards. I shoot them sub MOA at 600 meters just fine all the time.

I've got a brother who uses 168 amax in his 300 wsm on red deer. Shoots them from 5-500 yards and is very happy. 3000 fps. 21 inch barrel suppressed. Maybe try that bullet or a ballistic tip would be a good bet. Good luck.
They also still make the 178 Amax and it's a fantastic bullet as well. If the OP wants to try the 168 Amax I will send him some of those free also along with the 180 Swift Scirocco IIs I mentioned earlier.

Personally I would try the 165gr TSX or Hammer Hunter. Very accurate even out to range and leave things dead out of the 300 wsm.