Looking for a new hunting bullet... Which one!??!

A couple of things, you have to look at bullets doing their job correctly in terms of velocity. The eldm does a great job, generally at less than 2300 fps (300y and beyond) GENERALLY!! the eldx has a stronger jacket and does not perform as well below 2000 fps meaning I tell guys if your hunting 300y and inside, stay with the eldx. The TMKs and TGKs have the same performance respectively. Again, it's what your gun like for accuracy as well. Also, a great shot with the wrong bullet can be a nightmare situation. I see so many people build a phenomenal rifle and have zero understand of bullets and terminal ballistics. Good for you to notice the problem and seek to rectify it.

Only 3 I shoot right now: Nosler AB, Swift Scirocco, Barnes TTSX any of the 3 have done better then any Hornady I have shot performance wise on an animal. I do love the federal Bear Claw and their newer hunting bullets, just to hard to get ahold of.
I too like the Barnes Bearclaw. I have shot several moose both up close (inside 100 yds) and longer range (450 yds) with Nosler Accubonds and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets in a 300 WSM they didn't go more than 30 yds.
I have been using Hornady 150 gr. SST bullets in my .308 Win. with poor results at close range. The bullets are disintegrating.

I have been using Barnes TTSX 168's in my 300 WSM, but now after seeing the long range Barnes bullet performance from my 280 AI (145 GR Barnes long range bullet) on a really big herd cow elk, I'm switching over to the long range variety in all my guns. They have a slightly more "fragile" construction allowing them to expand at velocities under 1500 FPS and still hold together for complete penetration which includes a 4 petal hole on the offside hide.

Couldn't resist this post. Its bullet placement. The 178 ELD-X, 180 AB, 195 ELD-M, 185 CH all work great out to 600-700 yards that I have seen.

So I have a 300 WSM I love but last few animals I have shot I am not seeing the results I want on animals and I actually lost a buck in Colorado this weekend. So I am looking to try and switch things up. Currently shooting the 190 ABLR. Recently scored some 200 grain ELDX before this all happened just to try them out. I just hear good and bad about every kind of bullet so looking for some insight. A buddy of mine says for smaller game like deer or antelope I need a softer bullet or possibly the speed of the gun and bullets are too much. I forgot to add... Seams like the closer the shot the less I see great results but the further shots seam to do better. 200 yards and in are not great but 300 out seam much better and my AR10 stones most things so I am trying to figure out how to solve the situation. Thoughts?

I've had problems with the 190 ABLR's in my 300 wsm as well, even with appropriate shots.
Also had problems with the 168 ABLR's in my 308's.
Sad because now I have several boxes of very expensive bullets.
I'm going back to my old faithful 165 grain Speer btsp for my 308 and am going to try the 180 grain version in the wsm.
Might try the 180 grain scirocco.

Put a barnes tsx, ttsx or LRX in it and be done.
Mike I keep telling you you need to try the hammers. Lol
I was a Barnes guy before cutting edge then on to hammers. Slight differences but they all seemed slightly better than the last. I do seem to see much more inside damage with hammers than Barnes. Maybe the shedding of front as opposed to mushroom.
I'd be curious to see what your thoughts were after using them? Compare and contrast type thing.

Are you recovering bullets?
I recovered on this year, 190 grain ABLR going 2850 at the muzzle. Shot was 360 yards and hit high through the lungs.
Recovery weight was 75.3 grains.
That does not seem acceptable for 360 yards.
Never lost and animal with the old Speer btsp.
Have lost elk and deer with the 190's in my wsm and 168's in my 308's.
I do get good accuracy and long range ballistics out of the ABLR's but not good terminal performance.

I run SST from Hornady out of mine and have had great luck for deer. The non bt projectiles have always seemed to punch right through and very in results. The bt's wreak havoc and yield better results. Off subject there is a thread on here talking about the 243 as the best deer round and another thread called bigger is better fact or theory. What you had happen is right in line with both of those threads and there is a lot of good info others have put up

I've shot a cow elk at ~50yds and an oryx at ~75yds with the 200eldx out of a 300wsm and was very happy with the results on both. Neither went more than about 10yards after shot. Pass thru on the cow and in the offside hide on the oryx.

Out past 600 I like a heavy for cal. berger inside of that the Hammer bullets are tremendous killers provided the bullet is above 1800fps and thats all the way in to point blank