Looking for a “Stocksmith”

LOL so you bash Boyd's and say they suc because YOU ordered a laminate stock and somehow YOU thought it would be as light as a plastic stock? Most buy a laminate stock to gain weight and rigidity . 18 in barrels are normally fairly stiff. They should shot well, magnums in a 600 usually kick like a mule, and a heavier stock helps in the recoil department. Good luck with your search for someone to build you a custom stock, they are out there.

You may try heritage arms out of loma, Colorado. They make after market parts for the 600 Remingtons, I have their bolt release and keep promising myself that I'll get a new floor plate but haven't done it yet. They may be able to steer you in the right direction or give some advice

I'd really like something with a big aluminum block
Not gonna happen.
There's not nearly enough demand out there for any manufacturer to tool up a machining center for aluminum bedding blocks, for an obsolete action that never had large production numbers originally.

Honestly, I have no clue how similar the old 600 is to the 700.
If the footprint/action screw spacing is similar, and the bolt handle cutout lines up it may be possible to use a stock inletted for the M700, modify as needed before epoxy bedding.

My Boyd's stock had been a major disappointment. It cannot handle recoil of a 270 Win. Shoots great for about 20 rounds then starts to spread the groups. Each re-bed works for a while, then falls apart. It will be on its 4th bedding/pillars, but I think it's delaminated internally near the lug mortise. Next try will be a walnut blank and a campfire for this stock.
Mines not really an accuracy issue other than that back factory aluminum pillar doesn't reach the Thang my steel ***** about 1/ quarter to a half inch at 100 yards it's just so stinking heavy and I'm not really a fan of a Woodstock for a hunting rifle even if it is laminated that glue is heavy.

If you need too lighten a Boyd's laminate you can bore holes in the but stock and route the barrel channel as far as a laminate stock becoming I laminated I guess any thing is possible I have some of the finest custom builds with English and Black walnut money can buy also AG composites and 1 Boyd's the Boyd's is as tough and rigid more so than any of my other wood stocks unless your willing too pay a thousand dollars plus you might rethink the Boyd's glassed and pillared
Mines not really an accuracy issue other than that back factory aluminum pillar doesn't reach the Thang my steel ***** about 1/ quarter to a half inch at 100 yards it's just so stinking heavy and I'm not really a fan of a Woodstock for a hunting rifle even if it is laminated that glue is heavy.
You can lighten it up by boring big holes in the butt stock but leaving enough wood for tha pad then route the barrel channel then re enstall pillars that fit or just bed the whole action top and bottom glass bedding has been around and used on a lot of accurate rifles before pillars bedding blocks and composite stocks where even thought of get rid of the wood in the bedding area and replace it with a good bedding compound and will probably outlast a lifetime and will be a perfect fit good luck

I'd really like something with a big aluminum block
There's a lot of expansion in aluminium . Best result would be a solid carbon block built in during construction. It's lighter and more stable. I have done a lot like that having made carbon stocks since the 1970's

the rem 7 and rem 600 stocks do not have the same placement for the rear screw hole. Not by much but still not the same. I know cause I tried to put 600 action into an mdt mod 7 inleted chassis.

If I'm not mistaken the 600 and the xp 100 are the same foot print.Both have the same pain in the *** bolt release ,trigger is different ,but I think they use the same dog leg bolt. there is a glass stock on gun broker under remington model 660 for sale.

I converted two fibreglass Rem short action stocks to fit a 600. It wasn't too difficult if you are comfortable working with epoxy. The difficult part is the trigger because 600 triggers sit farther forward than 700 short actions. You need longer fingers than I have. I ended up buying a Trigger tech trigger and it was a more comfortable fit. I tried using a regular 700 trigger on the 600 and it worked but sat too far back for the floor plate to fit and modifying it would be awkward because accessing the rear action screw becomes difficult.