Looking for a “Stocksmith”

wm5l

I still like messing with these old Remington 600s. I've got 3 of em and they all shoot good with handloads. I want to put some "new furniture" or "Plastic" on them. Might try a fancy fiberglass stock if I could find someone to do a full inlet on a HS stock as NOBODY I can find makes a drop in stock for a Rem 600 other that Boyd's. I have one of their laminated stocks and it sux! Who is working on these old guns? Seems like everybody wants to do 700s and that's all anymore.

I still like messing with these old Remington 600s. I've got 3 of em and they all shoot good with handloads. I want to put some "new furniture" or "Plastic" on them. Might try a fancy fiberglass stock if I could find someone to do a full inlet on a HS stock as NOBODY I can find makes a drop in stock for a Rem 600 other that Boyd's. I have one of their laminated stocks and it sux! Who is working on these old guns? Seems like everybody wants to do 700s and that's all anymore.
Check with longrifles Inc. They seem to do a lot of custom one off stuff.

McMillan, Manners, AG Composites, maybe Grayboe...
Ain't going to be cheap, but custom stocks never are.
Call around. Any stock for Remington will work far as I know- it's just a matter of them having the inletting program.

Just curious what's wrong with the Boyd's laminate they seem too be a solid stock and very stable glassed bedded also classic streamlined lines I think it would look really nice they are durable

Just curious what's wrong with the Boyd's laminate they seem too be a solid stock and very stable glassed bedded also classic streamlined lines I think it would look really nice they are durable
Freaking HEAVY! 600s are short guns. 18" barrels and with a Boyd's laminate stock it weighs More than a full size rifle. By over 1.5lbs. Also the back pillar doesn't even touch tang on the rear of the action. It's 1/2" short. Boyd's says that's normal. I'm like why even put a pillar bed on the rear screw if it's not gonna support the rear of the action they didn't have an answer.

Last edited:
LOL so you bash Boyd's and say they suc because YOU ordered a laminate stock and somehow YOU thought it would be as light as a plastic stock? Most buy a laminate stock to gain weight and rigidity . 18 in barrels are normally fairly stiff. They should shot well, magnums in a 600 usually kick like a mule, and a heavier stock helps in the recoil department. Good luck with your search for someone to build you a custom stock, they are out there.

LOL so you bash Boyd's and say they suc because YOU ordered a laminate stock and somehow YOU thought it would be as light as a plastic stock? Most buy a laminate stock to gain weight and rigidity . 18 in barrels are normally fairly stiff. They should shot well, magnums in a 600 usually kick like a mule, and a heavier stock helps in the recoil department. Good luck with your search for someone to build you a custom stock, they are out there.
I never said I thought it would be light weight. All I said was it's too **** heavy and the pillars are worthless. After all they're the only people making the things so I figured I'd try one. It's awful IMO.

My Boyd's stock had been a major disappointment. It cannot handle recoil of a 270 Win. Shoots great for about 20 rounds then starts to spread the groups. Each re-bed works for a while, then falls apart. It will be on its 4th bedding/pillars, but I think it's delaminated internally near the lug mortise. Next try will be a walnut blank and a campfire for this stock.

Try Richards Stocks

Freaking HEAVY! 600s are short guns. 18" barrels and with a Boyd's laminate stock it weighs More than a full size rifle. By over 1.5lbs. Also the back pillar doesn't even touch tang on the rear of the action. It's 1/2" short. Boyd's says that's normal. I'm like why even put a pillar bed on the rear screw if it's not gonna support the rear of the action they didn't have an answer.
If you need too lighten a Boyd's laminate you can bore holes in the but stock and route the barrel channel as far as a laminate stock becoming I laminated I guess any thing is possible I have some of the finest custom builds with English and Black walnut money can buy also AG composites and 1 Boyd's the Boyd's is as tough and rigid more so than any of my other wood stocks unless your willing too pay a thousand dollars plus you might rethink the Boyd's glassed and pillard