Looking for 6.5x55mm Swede Tikka Load Suggestions

MTsmith

I'm fortunate enough to have a Tikka T3 and a Tikka Lite in 6.5x55mm. I have an ample supply of 140 NAB, 129 SST, and 127 Barnes LRx bullets. Does anyone have any suggested loads to help me out?
Thank you in advance.
MTSmith

Picked up a t3 lite stainless a few months back after looking for one off and on for 3 or 4 years. Haven't shot it yet, though. I love the cartridge.

est 6.5 day in day out in my opinion, easy to load for and lapua brass. Maybe a 6.5x284 to stretch out a bit more maybe I guess.

Lapua brass is the way to go in the 6.5x55. As stated, it is much less expensive than brass in other 6.5 chamberings. I found H4831 to work very well with Berger 140g VLD's in my Swede (commercial Mark X mauser action). Start around 42 grains and work up. My rifle likes 48.2g H4831. I haven't shot it across a chrono, but drops out to 600 yards suggest that I am getting 2750ish.

I shot my Swede alongside my 6.5-284 out to 600 yards. There was very little difference, leaving me underwhelmed by my 6.5-284 and that much more enamored with my Swede.

Yeah, it's kinda like the 300 wm and the 300 Weatherby, you can do a little more with the Weatherby but the win mag is pretty darn good. Long live the Swede.

I have fooled with the Swede for a lot of years. I bought up a number of the 96 Swede Mauser rifles when you could get them for under $100. I have left all of them but one in the military configuration. It was one that some Bubba had already started hacking on. It had a good bore so I sported it out. With that long 29" barrel left on it you can get it smoking without going over the 46000 CUP level. I really like AA4350. With 46 grs. which is a 1/2 gr under max charge according to Accurate to still be under 46000 CUP with 120 gr Sierra SP or Ballistic tips it does right at 3000 fps. With 45 grs max according to Accurate and 140 Sierra or Hornady SP bullets it does right at 2800 fps. Both loads shoot really accurate and flat and hammer deer. I have been shooting the 130 Accubond in my 264 Win mag and from it's performance on deer if I wanted to have just one load for my Swede to take anything from a mouse to a moose it would be with it going as fast as I could safely push it accurately.

I don't have my old military version, do you have 1 you could sell me? I have some swedish snipe rounds and they won't run in my tight neck savage swede. They shot great in my military version, 1909 argentine, but I sold it by accident.

I've been playing with the new Sierra 130 grain HPBT Gameking and H4350 in a CZ550 FS.

First, these bullets are really short with a long bearing surface for being a HPBT so COAL is only 3.022".
After looking at multiple load books I started shooting for 55K psi. I think I'm getting close with the 45.5 grain load shooting quite well (hodgdon max 45k CUP) . The 46.5 grain load also shot well. Primer edges are still round but I can definitely tell a difference between it and the 44 grain load.

These loads are for my brother who hasn't been bitten by the LR bug. But this bullet's brethren in other calibers have a great reputation despite their relatively poor BC.

I don't have my old military version, do you have 1 you could sell me? I have some swedish snipe rounds and they won't run in my tight neck savage swede. They shot great in my military version, 1909 argentine, but I sold it by accident.

No I don't have any rifles that I want to sell right now. I would check out some of the military surplus rifle forums because I know that some people would be interested in your ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.